• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are all USB cables created equal..?

Or is my Desire faulty?

Hi, had my Desire about a week now and absolutely loving it. However...

I bought a couple of spare USB cables from eBay (they were listed as being suitable for the Desire fwiw) - mainly for charging - but why I plug the Desire into my laptop with them I get Device not Recognized - even before I've selected the connectivity option on the Desire.

It works OK with the HTC cable and a cable that came with my Jabra headset. The eBay cables seem to recognise an old Nokia 6300.

So, as suggested in this thread, are all cables not created equal and the eBay cables of insufficient quality for the Desire or is the Desire faulty?

This has been bugging me, so I bought another usb cable from Maplin's and have tried some more laptops. So we have;

Cables; this from Maplin's, original HTC and cheap eBay.

Laptops; two Dell's running Win7 (different models) and one Fujitsu Siemens running WinXP. In all cases I tried the HTC cable first.

HTC cable - works in all 3 laptops.

Maplin's cable - works in all 3 laptops.

Cheap eBay cable - doesn't work in my Dell. Doesn't work in the Fujitsu. But here's the odd thing, it worked in the other Dell (it also worked in my Dell with a Nokia 6300).

Not conclusive, and I've no idea what the issue is (connector quality, cable resistance...?) but it suggests to me that its worth paying that little bit more for a branded cable.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones