• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Are Their ROM Differences in Signal Reception?

Frisco

=Luceat Lux Vestra=
Jan 19, 2010
androidforums.com
I've had this Eris since January and was surprised when I began reading in the Eris forums about various issues, ongoing bugs and problems with signal reception, etc.

Mine exhibited nothing other than solid, reliable behavior on 1.5 and again after the OTA came to our devices.

After rooting, that same reliability and concrete behavior continues, with one exception: on my now favorite ROM, XTR 2.1.1, the signal quality has dropped to near nothing, even to the point of truly nothing; zero bars and 1g rather than my usual 3g and two or three sometimes 4 bars.

Recovering to Senseable 3.1 the signal quality returns to normal.

Has anybody else seen any differences from ROM to ROM wrt signal strength?

That's a good question. I'll check that out.

Obviously I've gone through all of the usual possibilities, having to do with environment, etc.. even OC settings thinking a super overclocked CPU would not allow full recognition of a strong signal (a stretch, I know :D).

Thanks for responding. I'll poke around other forums where XTR is being talked about.

Upvote 0
I've had this Eris since January and was surprised when I began reading in the Eris forums about various issues, ongoing bugs and problems with signal reception, etc.

Mine exhibited nothing other than solid, reliable behavior on 1.5 and again after the OTA came to our devices.

After rooting, that same reliability and concrete behavior continues, with one exception: on my now favorite ROM, XTR 2.1.1, the signal quality has dropped to near nothing, even to the point of truly nothing; zero bars and 1g rather than my usual 3g and two or three sometimes 4 bars.

Recovering to Senseable 3.1 the signal quality returns to normal.

Has anybody else seen any differences from ROM to ROM wrt signal strength?

Frisco,

Check out the All Current Radios - xda-developers thread over on XDA regarding radios for an interesting read.

There doesn't seem to be a consensus that different radios actually help your signal or not (or just give you a warm and fuzzy feeling :)).

I suspect that the bars/signal displayed by the various ROMs do (or don't do) the same thing.:D

Upvote 0
Some ROMs are based on Sprint phones and Sprint may "require" different scaling be used for their "bars" than what Verizon wants. The # of bars doesn't mean much... Go by the signal strength value (Menu, Settings, About Phone, Network).

You won't believe how sensitive the values are... My desk sits against an outside wall, with windows 18-24" above me. If I wrap my hand around my phone, i.e. block the internal antenna, I can get it up to 90+ dBm. Take my hand away, it goes to mid-70s. Raise it up to window height, I get into the 60s. All the while, the "bars" aren't changing reliably.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
Some ROMs are based on Sprint phones and Sprint may "require" different scaling be used for their "bars" than what Verizon wants. The # of bars doesn't mean much... Go by the signal strength value (Menu, Settings, About Phone, Network).

You won't believe how sensitive the values are... My desk sits against an outside wall, with windows 18-24" above me. If I wrap my hand around my phone, i.e. block the internal antenna, I can get it up to 90+ dBm. Take my hand away, it goes to mid-70s. Raise it up to window height, I get into the 60s. All the while, the "bars" aren't changing reliably.

Great info and reminders there, hallstevensonskiburgenhausenstein, thanks.

Upvote 0
To expand on my earlier post, has anyone seen Apple's responses to signal-bar-issues on the iPhone 4 ? Note: This is NOT an Apple-bash.

They're claiming that the "it has erroneously calculated the formula which displays signal bars on the iPhone" and here's a good one, "their high bars were never real in the first place". At least they're not claiming 4-5 bars are real but 0-1 were not. They can't have it both ways.

Upvote 0
I've never had that big of a difference in bars as you have Frisco, I've flashed just about every available ROM for the Eris, and haven't had any big difference. Maybe reflashing may fix something.

Reflashing, while sounds basic can fix tons of stuff. Just this morning, my Eris on CELB said it wasn't registered on the network, reflashed the ROM...all fine now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones