• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Are there any disadvantages in downloading a Custom OS?

I was downloading my custom O Swhen my sister saw. She asked me what I was downloading, and I breifly explained to her the process. She mumbled something about, 'You shouldn't be downloading those files. That's why you have viruses.'
I just wanted to know the truth? I only know that a custom OS is basically a factory reset, but having a few features change and nothing more.

It's going to depend entirely where you get the files from. Many people, myself included, use non-stock firmware on some of their devices and it can be perfectly safe and give you much more flexibility in how you use your device.

If you let us know what phone you have and what you have downloaded, we could probably be more helpful.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
It's going to depend entirely where you get the files from. Many people, myself included, use non-stock firmware on some of their devices and it can be perfectly safe and give you much more flexibility in how you use your device.
If you let us know what phone you have and what you have downloaded, we could probably be more helpful.
I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime 😁 I didn't remember what I've downloaded...it's jist a custom OS. Sorry if I sound dumb...

Upvote 0
I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 Prime 😁 I didn't remember what I've downloaded...it's jist a custom OS. Sorry if I sound dumb...

Do you remember how you installed it? Usually a custom OS has to be developed specifically for your model phone, and you would need to root your phone to install it. If you are simply changing the look of the phone, you might be installing a launcher.

Go to settings>system>about phone>software info and let us know what the Android Version, Software version and Build No.'s are. That would help.

Reactions: ocnbrze and Hadron
Upvote 0
i would read, read so more, ask questions, then read so more about the root process before you begin.

so a couple of things:
1. like mentioned before most of the files need to root are on some kind of file sharing site. some of these sites have been known to have some kind of malware or viruses.....so yes that is possible. but if you have a good pc antivirus installed you should be fine.

2. rooting basically means that you are using the phone's vulnerability or exploit to gain root access (this means access to your system files). this also means that there risks involved with this.
  • your phone will be more vulnerable to viruses...so make sure you have an antivirus installed.
  • your warranty and even insurance will be voided so be careful with your device.
  • if you mess around with your system files, you can make the phone inoperable.
now most of these risks can be easily fixed if you are careful. but we can go over those later, if you do decide to root the phone.

hope that helps

Reactions: bcrichster
Upvote 0
There's nothing wrong with flashing a custom OS (ROM) to your device, provided it was made specifically for that device. To flash a ROM, you need a custom Recovery, like "TWRP". The truth is,
  • you're probably safer from most viruses with a custom ROM because all the security patches are usually further updated than what came with the phone and it's updates.
  • Androids don't really get viruses like Windows and..well, WINDOWS!! Android is built from Linux and Linux rarely has an " viruses" that can hurt it as its total design is more secure. The real dangers you face are actually something called "malware" which is something you have to personally install yourself via as an app or dirty, intentionally corrupted media file.
  • Anti-Viruses are actually worthless in Android due to what I said about Linux, plus they actually slow down resources all the time, which in turn drains the battery quicker..

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones