• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T "subtlety" punches back

I see the "what time's the movie?" dialogue going more like this in real life:

Friend: Hey, man, can you text me the URL for the movie schedule?
AT&T (iPhone) User: Actually, my phone can't do basic things like copying and pasting text, so I'm gonna go online right now and keep you waiting and waste both of our phone minutes as I go look for it on my terribly slow data connection.

Friend: Hey, man, can you text me the URL for the movie schedule?
Verizon (Droid) User: Yeah, sure. Bye! *goes to movie website, hits copy, hilights text, pastes into e-mail or SMS*

Remember that 3G coverage map commercial from verizon?

Well apparently ATT EDGE service (the huge white gaps on their coverage map) will not allow data and voice at the same time :D

Haha, that's beautiful. Verizon should do a rebuttal commercial like AT&T's Luke Wilson commercial with OWEN Wilson. And for the thing that AT&T wins they could be like

"AT&T's commercial isn't a dirty lie in these places *pull up AT&T 3G coverage map*. Hey, they got one!"

Upvote 0
Haha, that's beautiful. Verizon should do a rebuttal commercial like AT&T's Luke Wilson commercial with OWEN Wilson. And for the thing that AT&T wins they could be like

"AT&T's commercial isn't a dirty lie in these places *pull up AT&T 3G coverage map*. Hey, they got one!"

LOL!

I didn't see a "3G" only disclaimer on the apple ads. There could be some seriously paid lawyers in the future!

Oh, and WHO THE EFF uses SPEAKERPHONE on every call? Imagine if they tried the same setup, but with the phone to their ear. Every time they remove the phone from the ear, that is cheating because you technically are NOT on the CALL!!! Just try browsing when you can't seen the screen!

Also, don't these apps have to be running BEFORE you get a call? IE, you can't just browse around the menu and launch the apps? It's been a while since I had my failphone.

Upvote 0
Friend on iphone: Hey, man, I'm 5 mins out of the city and I switched to EDGE coverage, can you text me the URL for the movie schedule after we hang up?

Me: STFU, WTF, why the eff would I text you the url to a movie schedule when you can find the url your damn self??!!

Friend on iphone: Well my connection is really really slow and i want to <<click sound, they dropped the call>>

Me: Dials them back..... one ring, right to voicemail, hmmmmm, only 5 minutes out of the city, too. quite the shame on ATT's part.

Upvote 0
thats the thing bro...AT&T isn't making money on the iPhones...its APPLE that's making most of the money...actually 80% to be more accurate...

the data plans are 1 thing but Apple controls the activation through iTunes. It also controls the downloading content and purchasing of applications, music, videos, etc...because of this very same reason that's why VERIZON opted not to take the iPhone under its wing. Although Apple wanted VERIZON's network, coverage, and speed Verizon wasn't willing to give up the profit margin that APPLE demanded from them.

The thing is, up until recently, the iPhone was the phone to have. Where would AT&T be without it? In 2006 Apple was building up a lot of steam, and by 2007 it was practically King Midas. As a wireless provider, you'd have to be in a pretty solid position to turn down that kind of mass appeal for your network.

I'm not saying Verizon made the right or wrong choice, but I do think that AT&T made the right choice. From reading reports of AT&T service, it seems like the only thing they have going for them is the iPhone.

Upvote 0
I'm not saying Verizon made the right or wrong choice, but I do think that AT&T made the right choice. From reading reports of AT&T service, it seems like the only thing they have going for them is the iPhone.

And if Apple brings the iphone to other usa carriers, you better hope you don't own ANY ATT stock! At that point someone like sprint/tmob could buy them!

ATT is smart, they aren't spending the money they should. For a business model, they are pumping and will be dumping. I'll bet the execs are setting themselves up for a sale, but first and foremost for lots of profiting before this happens.

Mark my words!

Upvote 0
Hey I stumbled across another interesting link.

Apple disses Verizon, Droid with tongue-in-cheek iPhone ads | csmonitor.com

What do you think?

Scroll to bottom of article to view ads

Wait, Verizon doesn't let you do that? I'm confused. I have no problem being on a phone call and using the rest of my G1's tools at the same time---and NO, I'm not on a wifi network, I'm using 3G data on Tmobile.

Just now I called this company that I used to work for (they're closed for the holiday) and while the outgoing greeting was playing I was able to open the web browser on my phone and log into my bank account, check my current balance and log out with no problem.

Are you saying the Droid lacks this ability? Because this would be a major step backwards for Android, or it's a really stupid move on the part of Verizon. I know they have a reputation for crippling their phones on purpose, but that's ridiculous.

Upvote 0
It's not an Android limitation it's a cdma(verizon's & sprint's type of network) limitation. T-mobile & att use gsm.

Personally I think the att commercials are pretty lame. Considering I know how weak their cell network can be. For example at my home on att. My signal was so spotty. Where you have to try to find signal when trying to talk on the phone. With Verizon I have full bars.

Upvote 0
What ethan said. GSM networks (AT&T and T-Mobile) can do data and voice at the same time while CDMA networks (Verizon and Sprint) cannot. Not a limitation of Android, the Droid, or anything intentional on Verizon's behalf. It's just the way it is.

That being said, even for AT&T you have to be on 3G. Not their Edge network, which makes up the vast majority of their network. Ironically the verizon commercial was being much more honest about AT&T's actual coverage that anyone cares about (3G vs. Edge lol) than AT&T's. AT&T is misleading it's customers with the "we cover 97% of American's" commercial because pretty much 90% of that coverage is subpar, whereas Verizon has 3G all over the place. Seeing as you haven't noticed the difference already, though, chances are it's something you won't care about :)

Upvote 0
The funniest thing about the commercials was seeing Luke Wilson (I could end it there and it'd make sense, but...) throw a post card out to San Francisco, CA. That is one of the notoriously BAD places for at&t's 3G coverage. Yeah, they have it there, but the connections are spotty at best with dropped calls and lost networks being routinely the case. It's a bad iPhone city. Quite bold, but I noticed that he threw it out there towards the end of the commercial where they tail off his voice. Nice editing at&t!!!

Upvote 0
What AT&T fails to tell you is that the call dropped when you switched over to the browser to see what time that movie was or order flowers...

The commercial ended before they showed the guy dialing his wife back.

What AT&T fails to show is the "anniversary reminder" call being dropped, and his wife calling again to ask why he hung up on her during her reminder call, only to have it happen again. This followed by his browser timing out in a SLOW, failed attempt to add to his floral purchase to apologize for the multiple hang ups. The commercial closes with both of them at home in a split screen, her sleeping cozy in bed, and him trying to get comfortable for a night on the couch.

Upvote 0
I will say this for AT&T, Their coverage where it matters most to me is spot on perfect. ZERO dropped calls in 10 years, Full 3g speed.
Verizon on the other hand, well lets say up until about 3~ years ago did not even have a 'map for that' :p

As for simultaneous use of Voice & Data on att/iPhone. 1 word:
Bluetooth, your sound and look like an asshat using speakerphone, unless your in a conference room.
Those long boring conversations where I wished the phone would drop the call, press home -> tap safari --> hit the pr0n sites :D
I loved looking up phone #s on google then conferencing them in. Need to check out if the range is having that shooting event today?
Yeah I miss that ability still

I'm on day 20 of the VZW/droid experience and well its looking like its time to send in the rebate. I will miss a few things about the iPhone but A2DP, Google Navigation, the screen, ability to customize with out jailbrakeing out weigh the games, mobile ME.

Upvote 0
I don't know that Verizon needs to "rebut" the new Luke Wilson campaign. We still have enough semblence of a free market in this area that when stupid people DO switch or join AT&T and find out the facts of their miserable coverage and terrible customer service they will switch off and tell their friends.

True story about AT&T and their service, buddy of mine has them (NOT an iPhone user) and is looking at the Droid, so he went in and asked about when his contract expired. The guy got belligerent and asked why he wanted to know, was he quitting? My buddy said he was thinking about it because he barely gets any reception inside his apartment, and all his friends with Verizon get great coverage when they come over. Get this....the AT&T employee looked up his address and looked him in his eye and said..."You must be wrong, there are 3 towers servicing your address."

Yup....he told my buddy that what he had experienced....hadn't happened at all LMAO

Then he told my buddy that the IF he actually had connection issues, it was because of the phone he had picked out, not their coverage.

Wow.

I wonder if AT&T could provide better service if they took the money they are paying Luke Wilson and spend it on updating their hardware instead. You know, address the problem instead of jedi mindtricking the public to ignor eit.

Upvote 0
As others have pointed out this really isn't an iPhone vs. Droid issue but rather a CDMA vs. GSM issue. Along those lines there actually is something to AT&T's boasting of being able to use both at the same time. I have an older BlackBerry on Verizon for corporate use which does not have WiFi built in to the device. I can not tell you the number of times I have been using it on a conference call and someone will send out an email during the meeting and since Verizon is CDMA I am not able to receive the email.

However as others have also pointed out with the Droid you can use the phone AND Wifi connectivity at the same time which is outstanding, as long as you are somewhere that WiFi.

I've just recently dumped my iPhone and have come back to Verizon and the Droid and could not be happier. To be honest, I never even knew my iPhone could place a call switch to another app; a feature I never used so nothing lost. I was more jealous of AT&T BlackBerry users that could do both. :)

Droid for one week and could not be happier! Even bought the wife one as well.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I'm a bit envious of this GSM feature, but I don't really have that urgent a need for it. I can always call someone back or text them the info post call.

But even those on GSM networks aren't guaranteed this feature anyways, as you must be in 3G coverage in order to take advantage of it.

And as Verizon has revealed to the public, AT&T's 3G coverage is hardly widespread, and even in supposed covered regions (big cities such as NYC, SF, Chicago, etc.), users frequently still drop down to EDGE.

I'm sure this has been beaten to death though.

Upvote 0
I've seen a few commercials over the weekend.

One thing is clear, ATT is really grasping for straws. They are identifying themselves with T-mob or Sprint as a CITY carrier.

If ATT is branding with those other carriers, they offer the "same city" service for 1/2 the cost.

Yes, 1/2 the cost!

But you can't get 3G 5-10 mins out of town here if you are on those, ONLY on VERIZON.

VZ only pointed out the 3G maps in their commercials a while ago, I'm SO glad they are don't "hate type" commercials that ATT is doing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones