• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

AT&T warranty and rooting

TripsYou

Oct 13, 2010
Calera, AL
Has anyone rooted their phone and had the 10$ a month warranty and when your phone messed up or whatever reason you returned it. Did you un-root the phone then take it back? Did they still honor the warranty? I'm just curious if you can un-root a phone and still return:thinking: it for the warranty.

Providers are told to check for signs of rooting, such as having superuser installed.

You're safest if you unroot your phone and uninstall any root-required apps.

I second this, although the avg retail store schmo typically won't even be bothered with checking for signs of a rooted phone; it's just better to be safe than sorry, and it's soooooo easy to flash most devices back to stock that it's not even worth chancing.

-Ryan

Upvote 0
I second this, although the avg retail store schmo typically won't even be bothered with checking for signs of a rooted phone; it's just better to be safe than sorry, and it's soooooo easy to flash most devices back to stock that it's not even worth chancing.

-Ryan

The average schmo in store wont check, but after your 30 days, you are stuck with warranty and they DO check. I had a customer come back to me and complain about getting charged for the full price of the captivate on his bill. I didnt want to ask him if he rooted because i figured he would just say no, so I asked him how he liked his captivate. then I asked him if his played flash. bingo, he was using a 2.2 rom for the captivate. I was able to call in and make up a story to get the charges removed but not every rep will do this!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones