• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ATT S5 (g900a) root possible?

Been toying with possibly rooting an ATT s5 (g900a). I saw some info (3-4 yrs old) on a developer site that said it can only be done on this phone if it's running the stock kitkat rom, not if it's been upgraded.

I flashed the rom a while back to marshmallow 6.0.1. Does anyone know if I can root it currently? Or do I need to revert to stock before I can do that? Info below. TIA!
Bill

Product Code: SM2G900AZWAATT
PDA: G900AUCU4DPH2
CSC: G900AATT4DPH2
Baseband: G900AUCU4DPH2
Bootloader: G900AUCU4DPH2

Been toying with possibly rooting an ATT s5 (g900a). I saw some info (3-4 yrs old) on a developer site that said it can only be done on this phone if it's running the stock kitkat rom, not if it's been upgraded.

I flashed the rom a while back to marshmallow 6.0.1. Does anyone know if I can root it currently? Or do I need to revert to stock before I can do that? Info below. TIA!
Bill

Product Code: SM2G900AZWAATT
PDA: G900AUCU4DPH2
CSC: G900AATT4DPH2
Baseband: G900AUCU4DPH2
Bootloader: G900AUCU4DPH2

[GUIDE] Root, ROMs, and Other Cool Stuff - Rooting the G900A

ironass motto... "Root in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

Upvote 0
I have not rooted anything in years. When I did, I found very good info on the XDE site referenced in the previous post.

I was not happy with my AT&T S5 and thought often about rooting it. I would be very interested in following in your footsteps if you are able to get it done properly. I am on a different platform now, but would consider going back if I could fully un-AT&T it by rooting it.

Upvote 0
-I have Straight Talk Galaxy S5, sm-s903vl with 6.0.1 firmware on it ... I've read that if there were a couple revisions to the 6.0.1 making it impossible to downgrade to 4.4 .. a once possible way of rooting the S5
-I attempted to flash the 4.4 firmware anyway, with Odin, and failed everytime, BRICKING in the process. Fortunately, still had download mode.
-To get there, I had to drop the battery in, while pressing, volume down+power+home.
-If I put the battery in, without holding the buttons, a bright green error screen was immediate. Battery pull was only way to get off this screen.
-Anyway, back to download mode I went ... installed latest firmware for my device hoping it would take and it took it no problem , system is back up and running, full stock.
-I will attach this file for anyone that might need it ... I have to upload it to Google Drive first ....
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e7oPL6V_qkBUatXkAiU6bJKEDCxsCj03/view?usp=drivesdk

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones