1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

ATT S5 (g900a) root possible?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bnichols23, Feb 28, 2018.

1. bnichols23

bnichols23 Newbie

Been toying with possibly rooting an ATT s5 (g900a). I saw some info (3-4 yrs old) on a developer site that said it can only be done on this phone if it's running the stock kitkat rom, not if it's been upgraded.

I flashed the rom a while back to marshmallow 6.0.1. Does anyone know if I can root it currently? Or do I need to revert to stock before I can do that? Info below. TIA!
    Bill

Product Code: SM2G900AZWAATT
    PDA: G900AUCU4DPH2
    CSC: G900AATT4DPH2
    Baseband: G900AUCU4DPH2
    Bootloader: G900AUCU4DPH2

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. ironass

ironass Extreme Android User

[GUIDE] Root, ROMs, and Other Cool Stuff - Rooting the G900A

ironass motto... "Root in haste... repent at leisure!" ;)

3. ElmTree

ElmTree Lurker

I have not rooted anything in years. When I did, I found very good info on the XDE site referenced in the previous post.

I was not happy with my AT&T S5 and thought often about rooting it. I would be very interested in following in your footsteps if you are able to get it done properly. I am on a different platform now, but would consider going back if I could fully un-AT&T it by rooting it.

4. -I have Straight Talk Galaxy S5, sm-s903vl with 6.0.1 firmware on it ... I've read that if there were a couple revisions to the 6.0.1 making it impossible to downgrade to 4.4 .. a once possible way of rooting the S5
    -I attempted to flash the 4.4 firmware anyway, with Odin, and failed everytime, BRICKING in the process. Fortunately, still had download mode.
    -To get there, I had to drop the battery in, while pressing, volume down+power+home.
    -If I put the battery in, without holding the buttons, a bright green error screen was immediate. Battery pull was only way to get off this screen.
    -Anyway, back to download mode I went ... installed latest firmware for my device hoping it would take and it took it no problem , system is back up and running, full stock.
    -I will attach this file for anyone that might need it ... I have to upload it to Google Drive first ....
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1e7oPL6V_qkBUatXkAiU6bJKEDCxsCj03/view?usp=drivesdk

#4 Charles Lanham, May 15, 2018
    Last edited: May 16, 2018

Samsung Galaxy S5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S5 release date was April 2014. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 801 processor, and 2800mAh battery.

April 2014
Release Date
Reviews