• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Auto rotate?

I don't know whether this is a Samsung brainwave or an Android one, but the only way to do this is to pull the notification slide right down until you get a set of "quick settings" tiles and look for one that says "portrait" (or "landscape" if you have it in that mode). Tap that and it changes to "auto rotate".

Why they didn't put the option in Settings as well (so that search could find it), or label the quick setting button "Auto rotate" whether it is on or off to make it more obvious what it does, I do not know. I don't really believe that either Samsung or Google do usability testing when making changes (whatever they would claim if asked).

Upvote 0
On a Pixel Go to Settings, Then Display, Then turn Auto Rotate on

It is also in the quick setting on a Pixel

autorotate.png

Upvote 0
I don't know whether this is a Samsung brainwave or an Android one, but the only way to do this is to pull the notification slide right down until you get a set of "quick settings" tiles and look for one that says "portrait" (or "landscape" if you have it in that mode). Tap that and it changes to "auto rotate".

Why they didn't put the option in Settings as well (so that search could find it), or label the quick setting button "Auto rotate" whether it is on or off to make it more obvious what it does, I do not know. I don't really believe that either Samsung or Google do usability testing when making changes (whatever they would claim if asked).
Thank you all sorted(y)

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones