1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

background running apps

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by skennedy25, Aug 16, 2012.

1. skennedy25

skennedy25 Lurker

Is there a list that states what background running apps are essential to the phone and which ones don't need to be running? I am coming from a iphone 4 and have not used this OS. Or is there a app for something like this

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. EpicMindWarp

EpicMindWarp Well-Known Member

You can use apps like advanced task killer from the Play Store to see what's running.
    Edit: But as below - we do not recommend task killers as they do more harm than good.

Or, hold the Home Key, press Task Manager and click on Active Applications on the top left. No app required.

3. ylexot

ylexot Android Expert

Don't worry about it. Let Android handle the memory. DO NOT USE A TASK KILLER!

4. ErisOwner017

ErisOwner017 Newbie

Please please don't use a task killer. It works against the phone's built in task manager. If you must close something, hold down your home button and use that task manager.
    Also, with the way the software has been designed, you shouldn't have to close any background apps as the phone will close them as needed.

5. Hogan773

Hogan773 Android Enthusiast

From what I understand, do NOT use ATK as it is not needed.

Just go into Applications Management in Settings and then there are "All Downloaded", "Running" etc tabs on top that will show which applications are under same.

In ICS you can just Disable apps so you don't need all that Task Killer BS.

6. skennedy25

skennedy25 Lurker

i know how to find what is running and i would never imagine using task killer but out of all the stuff that is running are there certain ones that need to and ones that don't? Also, out of the running apps in the background, how much battery will they really use.

7. juliar

juliar Lurker

There are some posts in the forum addressing this, and giving a list of non-essential background apps running. You don't need to Root your phone or use a Task Killer (which in itself uses more RAM). The problem I'm having is finding a good comprehensive list of what these little apps ARE so I know which ones I don't want running. Most of the lists will just say "these are safe to kill if you don't want them running" but give no indication of what they do. Some have logical names you can figure out, but others have weird names giving no indication of their function. If someone else knows of a comprehensive list of apps and their function it would be greatly appreciated!

8. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

I dont know a list but if you supply one we can do our best to identify what you have running

9. mrpnut

mrpnut THE WORLD IS YOURS

The best app out there to see everything running in the background and clear cache is Gemini app manager:D

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews