• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Backing up my contacts which are not google

Hi, Most of my gmail contacts are just phone numbers. I've got all my new contacts saved to gmail as default. It means they are backed up 'in the cloud' automatically.

But you don't need to put them in gmail if you don't want. You can back them up onto your SD card. (which you could then back up anywhere else you like)

This link has a link to a thread which describes how to back up onto SD card and onto Gmail.

http://androidforums.com/wildfire-tips-tricks/280281-backing-up-phone-contacts-sd-card-gmail.html

Upvote 0
Hi, Most of my gmail contacts are just phone numbers. I've got all my new contacts saved to gmail as default. It means they are backed up 'in the cloud' automatically.

But you don't need to put them in gmail if you don't want. You can back them up onto your SD card. (which you could then back up anywhere else you like)

This link has a link to a thread which describes how to back up onto SD card and onto Gmail.

http://androidforums.com/wildfire-tips-tricks/280281-backing-up-phone-contacts-sd-card-gmail.html

Tried to sync the contacts (just phone numbers no email) to Gmail.
No Contacts show up there.

Looked at the link you suggested But very confusing lol

Upvote 0
I thought I was replying here but I actually replied here...

does that help?

Such a simple clear explanation!

Oh yes that worked well Thanks :)
It even added the Contact photos i had set up on my phone :)

So now just got to sort out duplicates

So will they stay backed up in GMail then,and keep syncing, even though most of them are just phone number contacts?

Really Don't want to email much from my phone.

Upvote 0
Yes they are now in gmail and will stay synced and backed up there.

When you save a new contact you get the option where to save it. Choose your gmail account.

Well thanks you're a star. Didn't think it was possible without deleting my contacts
So if I should ever add more and choose to add their email accounts too do i do it the same way? Or treat them differently ?

Upvote 0
If you edit any of you gmail contacts and add another phone number or a street address or email address or photo or birthday it all syncs with gmail.

If you look on your PC at gmail you can see how it's all there.

What is good now is that is is easier if you have to reset your phone or have it repaired or replaced or if you upgrade to another android phone. just put in your gmail address again and all you contacts are there.

Reactions: mm43
Upvote 0
If you edit any of you gmail contacts and add another phone number or a street address or email address or photo or birthday it all syncs with gmail.

If you look on your PC at gmail you can see how it's all there.

What is good now is that is is easier if you have to reset your phone or have it repaired or replaced or if you upgrade to another android phone. just put in your gmail address again and all you contacts are there.

I had thought that I could only do that if they had an email address.
Thats great
So if I eventually add more contacts and choose to also add their email addresses on the phone too how do I get them on the computer?
As some will have emails and the ones I have now will not:eek:

Would I backup to SDCard then as phone or gmail contacts, if I have some of both?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones