1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Bad battery life since Oreo update

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sfdroidinc, Mar 19, 2018.

1. sfdroidinc

sfdroidinc Newbie

I updated to Android 8.0 on Verizon the other day and since then my battery life is 30 to 50% worse. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

Have you cleared your cache partition in recovery mode?

3. sfdroidinc

sfdroidinc Newbie

Thanks, I just tried that. Hopefully it helps.

tube517 likes this.
  4. Kevin-B

Kevin-B Well-Known Member

I have not noticed a material change in battery performance.

When there's a system update like this, it seems that it takes a while -- several days -- for the system to "settle in" to the new configuration. I'm not sure whether it's consuming more battery while it gets everything working, or whether the battery meter is just adapting to the new software.

If the problem goes on for more than a week, then you've got something.

tube517 likes this.
  5. sfdroidinc

sfdroidinc Newbie

Thanks guys for the input. Clearing the cache partition did the trick!

El Presidente and tube517 like this.
  6. Kevin-B

Glad that worked. Obviously my comment was less helpful, which is fine.
    I had been under the impression that an OS upgrade automatically cleared the cache, but again your experience is informative. Clearing the cache is never a bad idea.

7. Canesfan

Canesfan Android Enthusiast

Yes, my battery is draining faster and I did clear the cache partition :(.

8. Jeff247

Jeff247 Newbie

I'm looking around. I have a Galaxy Note 8 and my battery went from 100% to 2% in 6 hours. Just looking to see what other problems Oreo has. It happened a couple days after I downloaded the oreo update.

9. sfdroidinc

sfdroidinc Newbie

Well, if anyone is still paying attention to this post, yes, my battery is still bad since Oreo. At first it seemed like clearing the cache partition helped, but my battery life is 30 to 60% worse every day since Oreo for sure.

10. Kevin-B

I am still paying attention ... with dismay and sympathy. Wish I had a suggestion. Just so you know this is not necessarily what happens with Oreo, my battery life is unchanged since the update.

So it could be Oreo behaving weirdly on your device, or -- more likely -- it's something else, such as an app that doesn't behave properly in Oreo.

11. sfdroidinc

sfdroidinc Newbie

Ha...thanks Kevinvin. I think you may be right about an app not doing so well with the update. We shall see if updates help!

#11 sfdroidinc, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018

Samsung Galaxy S8 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S8 release date was April 2017. Features and Specs include a 5.8" inch screen, 12MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 8895 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

April 2017
Release Date
Reviews