• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bad Videos on Droid (see one here)

I've taken a couple dozen videos, some before and some after the update, with my Droid ranging from a few seconds to over a minute and so far I haven't had any visual or audio errors. I have a minute plus video from a TSO concert and all the fire and lights are in sync with the music throughout.

Perhaps it affects a few units, but it's so hard to pinpoint because so many people are using different combination of apps. Some apps just cause more problems than functionality. Some music apps (Slacker) have caused known full crashes (i.e. blank screens and loss of audio all together). So, it's hard to blame the DROID without knowing what apps are running because clearly the majority of people are NOT experiencing this problem, otherwise you'd have more than a half a dozen "me too" posts.

Upvote 0
My videos have come out FLAWLESSLY. Far better than I expected. I am extremely happy with the video and sound quality from this thing. Far better than the still shots from the camera itself (especially when I used the stock camera app).

What apps might you have running in the background concurrently?

Should it matter? The device supports multitasking. If the camera app requires full processor to record reliably then memory management should shut down all background processes until the main process is finished.

Maybe it "shouldn't matter" ... but perhaps it does. And that's what really matters. And if getting the best quality video is the goal, than I say do whatever is necessary. Perhaps the reason I'm having better success with the video recorder is because I don't have a bunch of needless apps running in the background. "Advanced Task Killer Free" is your friend! :cool:

As a sound engineer, I run my PC as clean, lean & mean as I can. I don't want there to be a glitch during an important take. I feel the same way with any multi-tasking tool ... and that includes the DROID. :)

Upvote 0
I've been having some new problems since I installed the update...my Gallery icon no longer links to my media...I get a message that it's not installed...I have to go into the Applications folder and launch it from there...I'm unable to trash the desktop icon and replace it with a new icon from the folder...WTF!
Also my video program seems totally messed up...it randomly records for a couple of seconds or for as long as I want it to...same thing on replay...it was working fine before the update...any suggestions?

It sounds like you more than just a video camera problem. It sounds like you have some major software issues. All you did was install Astro? Hard to believe that's the only thing you've done to your phone since taking it out of the box. Other than that, I would think you have a lemon, which is probable since our favorite forum member, bruceo, got two DROID lemons.

Upvote 0
But that doesn't mean that you don't have 20 apps running right now that don't need to be running. I say, "KILL EM!!!". :p

I have a gazillion apps running in the background, but I still get great video. But even so, it's hard to say what's affecting other people's units. Even if I'm running 12 apps, it doesn't mean that others having the problem are running the exact same 12 apps. Like I mentioned, apps like Slacker are causing system problems. I tend not to run apps that I know are unstable. Probably the lest stable app I have is Home++ and that's been rock solid for a long time.

Upvote 0
But that doesn't mean that you don't have 20 apps running right now that don't need to be running. I say, "KILL EM!!!". :p

Yes, especially when those needless running apps drain your battery. I've been having the same issue. Plus my video and sound is out of sync.
BUT a number of my vids have not been like this when I first had the device. As I filled it up with apps it started to do it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones