• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Baking up before root

Getting ready to root my Droid 3. I've done some thread sleuthing, but everything I have read is about backing up app data and a bunch of other backup stuff I don't really care about.

My question is simple:

I have the app "super backup". If I use that to backup my contacts, call log, and sms message history will they restore properly after I root my phone? If not how would I go about backing those up?

To be clear the only things I want to keep are my sms message history, call history, and contacts. Everything can die.

Thanks for your help and time.

Like I said, welcome to the site :hello:

On the Android platform, you don't really need to backup your contacts as they get restored when you sign back into your google (gmail) account.

It looks like your selected app, super backup will do just fine, and I highly doubt that rooting your device would wipe out any backup you create with it. If you're in doubt though, you could use MyBackup (which is the 30 day trial version of MyBackupPro) which would allow you to save your backup to their server.

And then since you would already be used to that interface, after rooting you can use the free version, MyBackupRoot.

Finally, the stuff you want to save are much like the things I save: Call log, SMS, MMS, and I also backup bookmarks and dictionary. Never understood why folks want to fight with Titanium Backup when MyBackup is so much more hassle free. . . .

good luck

Upvote 0
themib is right - rooting itself does not wipe the phone, and all of your stuff will remain there. After rooting, in fact, you can install Titanium Backup and do a more thorough backup (of your user apps and data - I'd stay away from restoring system data, like contacts and messages). I'll also add an endorsement for SMS Backup+ for backing up SMS and MMS messages, and call logs - but do know that that when SMS Backup+ restores on a Motorola Gingerbread phone of the D3 class it will restore all of the messages with a timestamp at the time the restore was completed, and they will be in reverse chronological order. (This is a problem with the way that the Droid 3's messaging app chooses the timestamp for the message, as well as SMSBackup+'s decision to restore messages from newest to oldest rather than the other way - which it used to do.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones