• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Baseband Upgrade from II5

sayginjedi

Lurker
Dec 3, 2010
Hi,
I am using Drakaz's Froyo ROM (latest nightly) and my baseband is II5.

I am planning to upgrade the baseband to some IK* OR J** version. Apart from any unforeseen problems, the regular baseband update process with Odin does not touch the installed ROM, settings etc., am I right?

Do you suggest upgrading my baseband? Actually my only issue is with the GPS, other than that I am fine. I live in Turkey, is there a chance that this may result in a locked phone? (I am already using a non-original baseband for Market issues)

Also, for baseband upgrade, do I need to check my recovery image? I imagine they are not related, but it is best to ask.

Thanks.

If you just do an update for baseband, there will be no need for reinstall of your ROM. But like I posted somewhere, GPS related problem is already fixed by bukington. And for that fix you will need to wait for the next nightly build.

Flashing another baseband may help you to get a faster GPS fix, but it's not necessary true. It gives you some better battery management, but that varies from baseband to baseband (the newest version is XEJC6).

Upvote 0
thanks, next nightly is good news.

this baseband update is not a one way ticket right? i can try latest one and return to current if there is a problem?

lelouch, just a question regarding this (only to understand). better ask to drakaz but, let me ask anyway when the topic is open; in galaxo specifications it is written as "based on JC6", how does the rom relate to baseband (assuming JC6 refers to baseband version :) )

Upvote 0
Galaxo is based on official XEJC6 firmware release by Sam*censored. It works on any basebands, it's optimized, made to look better, more responsive, etc.
So Galaxo is only optimized ROM from official XEJC6 firmware, while GAOSP is built from scratch (no official Android 2.2 firmware from Sam*censored for our Galaxy).

I hope that that answers some of your questions.

Upvote 0
I was counting XJ6, II5, ABC3 as baseband versions, and Odin was doing the firmware update. However I think they are more than baseband. As far as I understand:

- Xj6 etc. are whole firmware; both baseband and operating system. Also bootloader, recovery image etc. They are updated with Odin

- GAOSP is operating system only, updated through recovery mode.

- Only recovery update is possible by putting proper files to the internal flash disk.

- Only baseband update is possible, by modifying .tar contents, and then using Odin.

- Nandroid backup is about operating system part only.

- ROM=Operating System(?)

Is that so?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones