• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery improvement? observation

shantytownbrown

Android Enthusiast
Jul 25, 2010
Connecticut
I made one change last nite, to correct a problem I was having with Facebook and its sync to my address book.

I deleted my HTC Facebook for sense account (keeping my other facebook app..i think it was the other ? stock app) in the process i powered down and powered back up

anyway, today, after my usual overnite charge (and have never seen the immediate 5% drop..???) I unplugged and went off to work...730am

usual morning usage, pushed emails a few times, text'd, read this forum, even watched a youtube vid (Louie CK) for a few minutes...(on 3g)..etc...

100% power thru at least noon!

at 12h+ i am at 30-40% power after normal usage including a few bluetooth calls on the way home...

last observation: my batter widget is now showing many more "categories" (used to be 3-android, cell standby and idle-now there is display and a few others) and my android system which was using 96% is now only using 18%..

just some observations..

not sure if it means anything...if anyone can reason this one out...
does the HTC facebook for sense thing have anything to do with this???

what ever it is..hope it lasts...

shanty

First - I'd suggest a full backup of what you have that's successful - tips for that are here (not saying for you to run this procedure - just the backups) - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

Note all of your settings.

And yes - Facebook has so many threads and complaints, I can't come close to keeping that all straight (not a Facebook user myself).

But overall - since 2.2, it's had multiple battery-draining fingers pointed at it.

Also - post there or here how your config matches with this advice:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/150799-battery-tweaks-htc-evo-4g.html

Upvote 0
First - I'd suggest a full backup of what you have that's successful - tips for that are here (not saying for you to run this procedure - just the backups) - http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-support-troubleshooting/141369-how-fix-froyo.html

Note all of your settings.

And yes - Facebook has so many threads and complaints, I can't come close to keeping that all straight (not a Facebook user myself).

But overall - since 2.2, it's had multiple battery-draining fingers pointed at it.

Also - post there or here how your config matches with this advice:

http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-tips-tricks/150799-battery-tweaks-htc-evo-4g.html

will certainly do a back up very soon..

as for what i did prior to this, was (not in any particular order)

a. the network app "trick" cdma/gsm thing
b. follow almost all, if not all of slick1020's suggestions
c. turned of anything that pushes by itself, i have everything on manual that i can
d.dumped my facebook acct linkage

am still curious why the change in my battery widget list..where did that come from
and still even more curious why the android system usage dropped soooo much

Upvote 0
Remember - those widgets showing usage -
  • completely relative
  • only an approximation
  • not a complete listing
  • add all of those up - means it shows the neighborhood, not an accurate picture

When you changed your configurtion, you changed what services were using what resources - those simple widgets simply don't show that detail. I end up using a combination of tools when I'm trying to ferret things out - they're all only capable to a point.

The "android system" is really a collection of a _lot_ of services and processes. Whatever was using your battery wasn't showing up on its own, so it biased the results and dumped them there.

And remember - that's just a relative measure - you can put nearly everything to sleep, use just a few percent of overall battery and that widget might show you that 95% of use went to the system - but that was 95% of that 5%.

Make sense?

If you want to really dig a little deeper, you can always try the battery info in Spare Parts (free, Market) - but I warn you - that's likely to raise as many questions for you as it answers (as will SystemPanel Lite or Android System Info) - and note - those sort of monitors are not something to just run for fun - they do consume a bit of power/resources. But - they're awfully fun and informative to have for snapshots if you're at all curious.

PS - here's an under-the-hood snapshot of a nearly typical Evo (mine) not doing much - the Sprint apps are missing or you'd see those, too. This will give you an idea of just how much of an approximation those user tools give to what's _really_ running!!

View attachment sample_of_stock_evo_processes.pdf

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones