• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Battery on black Novel defective?

Hi, I just received a black Pandigital 7 inch Novel Model # RR70F200, refurb, from 1saleaday 2 days ago. I realize it's not an iPad, and does as well as I kind of expected, using it as a tablet, browsing the Net via wifi, emails, picture viewing, etc. I have not tried to read ebooks yet.

My biggest beef is the battery lasts about an hour, maybe an hour and 10 minutes before it's telling you to plug in the charger. Since I just got it, it's on constantly during that hour with the display and wifi on. I charged it from about 15% battery left 3 times already, and still only about an hour life. I noticed if I set the display timeout which seems to turn off the wifi too, to like a minute or two, the device will still have pretty much the charge from where I left if I wake it an hour later or so. Seems like the "what's using the battery" app says display is around 54%, wifi maybe 30%, and browser, etc. using the rest.

The literature says the battery life is supposed to be 6 hours. I read somewhere online the 6 hours is using it in ereader mode, prolly with the wifi off? Even so, you'd think I'd get way more than an hour, maybe 3 or 4 at least?

Does it sound like I have a defective battery? Maybe an old/used battery since it's a a refurb? I'm not sure which Android version I have, the box just says Android. I did go to the Pandigital website and do the upgrade, which now states September 22, 2011 in the version code instead of the March 2011 version, but seems that didn't help with battery life. I got for $40 + $5 shipping. Is it worth it to keep and get/try a new battery? Thanks much.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones