• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Battery problems, quirks and issues: Read first.

How long have you had the phone? Have you been following http://androidforums.com/samsung-moment/13783-possible-battery-quirk.html ?

Based on evidence in that thread, it's pretty clear the battery meter is not accurate all when new and does improve after some "conditioning" of the battery, but the meter IMHO is still flakey and requires a patch to be trustworthy

Btw, I never disable my GPS as I have found it is not activated unless you have an app requesting GPS info.

Upvote 0
It can be frustrating hitting the keys right from the charging screen so I just power it on and plug it in while it is booting.

Also, the battery meter apparently does get more accurate down low when you kill it. Mine died on me last night around 1030 and it had told me around 730 that it was at 15%(the whole time thinking, oh the battery meter sucks i'm good). All I really did was text after that notification. I got 16 hours out of it and didn't use the WiFi even once for data, can't complain about that.

Upvote 0
Over the past couple of days I've been fighting with the "battery" trying to figure out why it was dying so quickly. After a couple of full discharge/recharges I've seen an incredible increase in battery life. The meter is still showing it dying almost constantly but the phone is running better than it has been. Other than ~10 minutes of charging while I was putting some music on it yesterday it took me almost 16 hours to kill the battery. And that was with ~3-4 hours of streaming pandora, last fm, and the moment's music player WITH the screen never going dim.

Upvote 0
Ahhh thanks for that, can't beleive I didn't see that thread. Guess I'll do a little testing of my own to see how long it holds out today before shutting down.

I'm also going to try leaving the GPS turned on.

Thanks again.

Just to prove to yourself how bad the battery meter is, when you see your battery drop to 15% power off your phone and then back on. Many times you'll see it return to 50%. At least that's been my experience.

Upvote 0
Ok, so I was originally shocked at the horrible battery life of this phone. I ran to these forums looking for an answer and got it. I thot that simply draining the battery then full-charging it was silly but I was wrong. A couple of days ago I had the phone on all day. Reception jumped between evdo, roaming and 1x all day. Answered emails texts etc and even did some pandora (since then I've switched to droidlive). After 9 hrs of abuse I was still at 40%. I plugged in the phone on my way home just for a tiny jolt. I then was up till 11pm from 630am and the battery was at 5%. I laid in bed trying to discharge the rest of the battery for 1.5hrs (!) Before it shut off automatically from power loss. I turned the phone back on and plugged it in. Now I am proud to say that the battery (and gauge) appear to be fine. I've gone all day today (7am) listening to droidlive, texting, and typing this post as well as making calls and more and the battery isn't even at 50% yet...

So in short, drain it completely to teach the meter the low. Then charge it 100%. U will be all set. And now I wait for 2.0.

-kobuu

Upvote 0
I have been letting my battery completely die for a few days now before recharging. The life has increased exponentially. I can now go for almost 24 hours without charging. The one thing I noticed that was really killing me was the weather channel app set to use GPS. The phone came with that app set up this way by default, and I think that is one of the largest drains. The weather app was checking GPS constantly and once I told it to just use my local area; my battery seemed to stop diving so fast.

I use my phone alot, and I am constantly sending text messages... using little apps.. browsing the internet.. with wifi turned on etc. Seems to be working great now after training the battery a bit.

Upvote 0
OH and to note.. the battery meter is still a bit quirky. Last night the meter was showing 100% in a club I was at, but the status was showing 70% battery life. Then this morning when I attached my USB cable to copy some files to my SD card the meter went from showing 15% to 50%.. but the status of battery in the main system settings was unchanged (30%).

That being said.. the meter doesnt really create a problem until it gets below 15% and wont let me use the camera. That is a bit annoying.

Upvote 0
Hey guys-- thanks everybody for their collaboration in figuring this out.
I've had all the similar battery issues-- I originally was chalking it up to certain apps. My newest issue (aside from battery drain) is, when I rushed home to charge the phone at 3:00 today (meter was down to yellow; full charge this morning at 8:30), when I plug in my phone to the charger, it reboots itself.. every single time... displaying the android logo, then reloading everything.

It does this at other seemingly random times, but upon plugging in, its every time.

I'm thinking it might be caused by an app-- although I've tried uninstalling almost everything. The one I've tried to stick with is Toggle Settings. I need to have something that will actually silence ALL of the tones in my phone if I go to a meeting. Let me know if you guys have experienced this weird rebooting. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I just wanted to post a quick update on my battery. I didn't do a full battery drain last night, but i did recharge when it was around "15%". Anyways, I charged at least seven hours and unplugged at 7:30 am. It stayed at 100% well into 9:00 am. By 11:00am i checked it again, and it was down to 70%. It is now 8:00 pm and it still reads at 70%. I'd say my battery is in proper form now, so I'm pretty content with these results.

Upvote 0
These phones have a battery problems. I've read online in multiple places now about how it won't charge to 100%, even when you leave it plugged in all night. Mine also gets abnormally hot. Even when it says it's 90+ % charged you can download other battery tools and they all say that the battery is at 50 something percent or less. Ether the phone has issues reading the proper time remaining or the power supply they ship can not produce the Amps needed to charge the unit.

Upvote 0
These phones have a battery problems. I've read online in multiple places now about how it won't charge to 100%, even when you leave it plugged in all night. Mine also gets abnormally hot. Even when it says it's 90+ % charged you can download other battery tools and they all say that the battery is at 50 something percent or less. Ether the phone has issues reading the proper time remaining or the power supply they ship can not produce the Amps needed to charge the unit.
Hey, you should read through this entire thread, as it turns out it is NOT a battery problem, but more of a battery meter problem. Though this does not rule out the random bad battery, it does quell the intial fears of Hero like battery drain.

Upvote 0
I haven't done the full drain and recharge (I've let it go until it first turned off, but didn't fully drain it) but the actual battery life is fine. The meter will stay at 100% for like 5mins, at 80% for maybe 10, then 15% will stay for literally hours and 3% for about the same. Without any conditioning of the battery my Moment lasted from 7:30am to 4:30pm with pretty heavy use.

It definately needs an update, but it is reassuring to know that it isn't a problem with the battery or anything. I'm calling Sprint and email Samsung ASAP, both for this and to make sure they know that I would really appreciate Android 1.6 or 2.0 ASAP

Upvote 0
Ok I have passed the 15 hour mark with what I consider normal use:):). I thinks that is great! You just have to get past the lame battery meter. Shows 5% and I bet I get at least another 30min:cool:

I have been on 5% for about an hour and 1/2, all while playing music, sending text, and other stuff. I am trying to get it to drain completely so I can recharge. Tried TV but it won't let it start. I get a message that the battery needs charging. I m gonna just let it play music until it dies.

Upvote 0
i killed the battery 4 times this week and was at a full 100% from disconnecting the phone at 9:30am until 2pm. i sent/received about 40 text messages, watched a few videos, took about 20 pictures and played games between 10am and 12pm and it stayed at 100%.

it was at about 40% at 8pm.

moderate use after 8pm and it was at 15% when i plugged it back in at 2am.

today, i hit 100% again today (removed from charger at 10am) and am currently at 30% (is 7:45pm now) with my playing the same game all day throughout the day with about the same amount of texts/pix/videos as yesterday.

i hope this becomes the norm.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones