• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Beat on the Beats?......

gloriousnumber1

Android Expert
Aug 22, 2010
Portland, Oregon
I love the Beats software on my phone, though I didn't get the phone because of that or the earbuds, which are very nice.

I don't think it's fair to say that it doesn't do anything, because it does, but since I can't use it on anything beyond MP3's on the stock app, I got the EQ free app from the market and....well I like the Rock setting without bass boost BETTER!

Gosh darn it all to heck (to keep it clean)........this doesn't mean Beats is useless, just that I might want to keep it off now just to use my EQ app, since it works on anything!

I don't know why I never got an app like this for my OG Droid which is now retired, but it might be have been because I never used it in a car stereo that didn't suck, especially my own car, and my earbuds I used were skullcandy, which I think are ok, but not as nice as the beats one with my Rezound.

Please, post your thoughts about this subject, love Beats, hate it, don't care either way? Do you think it's just to make Dr. Dre MORE money, or do you think it's just not enough and not adjustable, so it causes more frustration than improvement.

How do I brag about beats to people who like that and are jealous of me when I can make better sound without it! HaHaHa....I do believe that turning OFF beats makes it MORE flat than normal sound so that it makes you want TO use it...

After some experimentation, I can see why those Beats earbuds are so awesome, compared to my skullcandy ones, they friggin rock!

So this isn't too serious, sorry if you wasted time reading.

I think the stock app is definitely dumbed down to make beats sound like a big deal. It's not that obvious when listening with headphones but when I stream audio to my truck via bluetooth the sound quality is absolutely horrible. There is no bass whatsoever, it sounds like I'm listening to music on laptop speakers. I know it's the phone because I used to stream music with my Droid X and it sounded just as good as any other source. That being said I'm enjoying the beats headphones with my ipod, they sound pretty good but not $100 good. I would be pissed to no end if I had purchased the headphones for $100 or purchased the rezound for the beats audio alone.

Upvote 0
I've noticed differences on the file. It's an unnoticeable difference when I play stuff through google music but when I play music off my sd card...its sick.

The beats hardware is definitely not just a name. I had a pair of studios.which are over the ear headphones and they were.absolutely ridiculous. Next time your in best buy, check out their display.

Upvote 0
first off, i didnt even take beats into consideration when i bought this phone. i loved my inc, the GN had reception problems (with a software fix on the way or something), and ill stick with HTC until they disappoint me

as for beats in general, they make decent products. there are better products out there for less money and i dont think i will ever spend money for beats

personally, i hate ear buds....maybe its because i dont mind carrying around over the ear headphones or because ear buds never fit me right.

the head phones that came with phone, i cant complain. they are decent sounding, they have multiple sizes (so i can actually get them to fit) but i strictly use google music (or what ever its called now) to listen to music so i've never even used the 'beats' feature.....thanks for the tip on the EQ app, ill check it out

Upvote 0
^ with any headphones. Actually it will activate with just about anything (everything) plugged into the headphone port on this phone.

(I also found out this Beats ear/headphones shows up as a "noise-cancellation headphone" when we plug it into a modern laptop... whatever laptop that is compatible with the 4-wire connector (headphone with microphone set))
bye

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones