• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Beautiful Widgets getting taken off the market...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycdroid

Nov 11, 2009
According to the latest update (2.36) the developer noted that he received a ceast and desist letter from HTC regarding the application. He noted to use a backup program to save the application if you want to use it going forward.

Quite unfortunate, but figured it was worth mentioning if others haven't seen it.

I said this in the other thread so instead of writing it again I will c+p

Everyone should try Weather Widget Donate instead of this, it was the original one and is always updated. The developer is a really cool guy and always responds to any problems you might be having, plus you can get the add on forecaster which gives you the 3 day view AND lets you link it to a app like The Weather Channel for a more in-depth weather forecast with Hourly/10 Day/36 Hour/Now views. Oh and he fixed the issue it had with needing to be setup constantly. One more thing about it is you can download themes for the Clock and Weather icons for FREE, and there are a lot of them.

Upvote 0
I said this in the other thread so instead of writing it again I will c+p

Everyone should try Weather Widget Donate instead of this, it was the original one and is always updated. The developer is a really cool guy and always responds to any problems you might be having, plus you can get the add on forecaster which gives you the 3 day view AND lets you link it to a app like The Weather Channel for a more in-depth weather forecast with Hourly/10 Day/36 Hour/Now views. Oh and he fixed the issue it had with needing to be setup constantly. One more thing about it is you can download themes for the Clock and Weather icons for FREE, and there are a lot of them.

I'm sure that they will get some sort of C&D letter from HTC soon as well. Their themes may still exist, but anything that remotely looks like HTCs will be pulled down. I'll look into Weather Widget when Beautiful Widgets no longer works on the device. Until then, no need to pay for two widgets that do the same thing basically. I could do without themes as they hog memory.

HTC has a stick up its bunghole. If they just release elements of their Sense widgets, people would probably buy them and they'd profit. They just want the exclusivity of their Sense UI on their phones. Whatever, HTC can suck a duck.

Upvote 0
Beautiful Widgets is no more | Android Central

Naa they can't remote into the phone and remove the application (remember you don't have to install stuff via the market place.. just have to allow unknown sources :) ) This isn't an iPHONE people...

I am glad he already got the majority of the geolocation bugs fixed.. Now all we have to hope for is something doesn't break and we shall be good for a while

Also shouldn't this be in the application's thread and not the droid? It effects all android phones

Upvote 0
Beautiful Widgets is no more | Android Central

Naa they can't remote into the phone and remove the application (remember you don't have to install stuff via the market place.. just have to allow unknown sources :) ) This isn't an iPHONE people...

I am glad he already got the majority of the geolocation bugs fixed.. Now all we have to hope for is something doesn't break and we shall be good for a while

Also shouldn't this be in the application's thread and not the droid? It effects all android phones

But Da Drooid Thread is Da Cooooolllllleeessttt thread!

:p

We're the cool kids table

Upvote 0
Not too surprised to see this happen...HTC is protecting their design/intellectual property, which makes business sense. They spent time/money to develop their UI to help them differentiate their phones from other offerings. It's obviously worked - "How do I get that clock/weather thing?" is a hugely common question around smartphone forums.

Hating HTC is kind of pointless...this is how business works. If you create something new and valuable, you should be able to keep others from making/selling copies of it. That concept is very hard to enforce in the age of file sharing...likely won't be too long before the HTC widget itself will be available for rooted Droids.

I am bummed, of course...love the widget and the developer's dedicated support for it. It was the first app I purchased when I got my phone and the first I've re-installed whenever I've changed home screens or done a reset.

But something else cool will come along. The creativity of the Android developer community will fill the gaps...

Upvote 0
Not too surprised to see this happen...HTC is protecting their design/intellectual property, which makes business sense. They spent time/money to develop their UI to help them differentiate their phones from other offerings. It's obviously worked - "How do I get that clock/weather thing?" is a hugely common question around smartphone forums.

Hating HTC is kind of pointless...this is how business works. If you create something new and valuable, you should be able to keep others from making/selling copies of it. That concept is very hard to enforce in the age of file sharing...likely won't be too long before the HTC widget itself will be available for rooted Droids.

I am bummed, of course...love the widget and the developer's dedicated support for it. It was the first app I purchased when I got my phone and the first I've re-installed whenever I've changed home screens or done a reset.

But something else cool will come along. The creativity of the Android developer community will fill the gaps...

Read between the lines of this guy's post. Now I'll feel a lot less guilty taking advantage of this 'developer creativity.' If HTC is threatened enough by a clock (that people would not have enough reason to buy HTC if this is availible) makes me wonder how much 'value added' there really is with Sense.

Upvote 0
There really isn't much value added by Sense UI. It's a glorified widget skin. Anyone who tries to convince you otherwise is drinking too much of the HTC Kool-aid. The skin itself hordes 100mb of memory and is running virtually all the time. Once you get over the novelty of the animated widgets and some of their proprietary apps, it's just window dressing. Which is why, $1.50 widget app is threatening to HTC. Because, what's the point of buying an HTC phone that gets loaded down by the UI? Hey, there's a reason why the Google Phone created by HTC does NOT have Sense UI on it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones