• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Bell Mobility and GPS (read if a bell user please)

I am getting so sick of Bell and the crap they try to shovel at me. I called Tech support again today. The first line they tried feeding me was that Location Aware Services aren`t launched for this device yet. I cited that I had talked to numerous people who use this phone and GPS and have it work for them. Then they went into the GPS Nav $10 a month BS. I was armed this time though:

http://www.bell.ca/web/wireless/en/all_regions/pdfs/Handset_en.pdf

I gave them that link showing that it doesn`t work on this phone (Second page, under GPS Navigation, it lists Google Maps). They sent me to another page saying yes, I need the $10 a month GPS Nav feature:

GPS Navigator- Bell

I said that the page doesn`t say anything about unlocking GPS Hardware and that it is only an app for maps and traffic update. They said nope, for $10 a month this will unlock your GPS Hardware so it works. I got them to click on the link on that page that says Highlights. And then on the new page where it says: *Find out if this service works with your mobile phone or smartphone. And guess where they ended up. My original link stating that their stupid $10 a month GPS Nav thing does not work on my phone!

In the end the lady at tech support was speechless and useless in solving my problem. They refuse to accept that the phone is BROKEN.

Upvote 0
Are you still using Android 1.5 on your phone? If yes, you may want to consider upgrading it to 1.6. There is an excellent tutorial by Schmarotzer on how to do this. It is the thread for Bell Canada and Brazil users of the Galaxy phone. You will then have access to the updated Google Maps, Navigation and you will probably find the GPS works better. Mine had a major improvement after the update.

Reactions: ct2020
Upvote 0
Are you still using Android 1.5 on your phone? If yes, you may want to consider upgrading it to 1.6. There is an excellent tutorial by Schmarotzer on how to do this. It is the thread for Bell Canada and Brazil users of the Galaxy phone.

I`ve ran vanilla 1.6 - same problem
I`m now running Galaxo 1.6.3.3 - same problem.

Upvote 0
I concur. I would even take it so far as to take to someone like Wireless Web. They deal with Bell, Rogers etc. A lot of times the independent dealers are more understanding. I would go back to 1.5, delete everything off the phone that is non stock, wipe it again and re-try. If it doesn't work, go to the independent. I really doubt it, but I hope that somehow during the flashing of roms the gps got bricked.

Best of luck.

Upvote 0
Hoping I'm not jacking this thread but I'm looking at getting a new Vibrant. As my noobness understands it, it comes with the new 2.2 Droid.
Will it also come with Google Maps? In other words will I be able to have turn by turn navigation without having to buy into the Bell Nav Plan?
If so, do I have to do any extra downloading of apps for this?
I'm looking to acquire the phone through The Source which seem to be more customer friendly in my queries than the local Bell Phone Center and they offer a few extra in-store perks that Bell doesn't.
tia

Upvote 0
You are correct, you do not need the Bell Nav Plan. Google Maps should be pre-loaded. You might want to inquire in the correct forum to be sure.
Thanks for that.
I made a bit of an error I think. Apparently, Froyo 2.2 isn't the OS but rather it's still the 2.1 Droid that's still being offered with the current Vibrant.
Is the Google Maps still part of the 2.1?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones