• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best alternative to Skype on Android??

theartfullodger

Android Enthusiast
Feb 6, 2010
It's probably just me but the news that the Dark Empire, Microsoft, had bought Skype has me resolving to find something else..

Any suggestions?? I'm In UK so Google Voice ain't an option (?? yet ?? Anyone know if it's invading Europe??)

(My Software strategy? ABM: Anything But Microsoft...)

Regards & Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
I actually loved tango with 2.1 on my Epic but since I installed 2.2 I cant ever get it to connect with my wifes Epic running 2.2. It will not even ring on the other side no matter what we do, or how many times we uninstall and install. I truely hope you guys can get this fixed..

Hi Darren, I have a PM coming your way in regards to calling issue you are experiencing.

Upvote 0
Skype is becoming more and more "microsofty" every day. And that ain't a good thing.

I recommend AGAINST viber for the following reasons:
- choose your password carefully. You cant change your password in app and you can't cancel your account (you "deactivate" it). So, if you decide to not use viber and they get hacked many months/years later, your password could be compromised
- If you want to exit the app, you press "exit" twice. Then the app relaunches itself (within a few minutes) because even though you hit "exit" twice the app refuses to exit
- most important, the call quality was never even decent for me

Take a look at voxeet. No other voip can compare in call quality. Just a matter of getting your friends to join it:
- Voxeet for Android aims to trump call quality of Skype
- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=fr.itic.voxeet.android&hl=en

Google Talk! Every android phone has it preinstalled. Anyone on any platform can use it via a free google account. Voice. Video. Chat. You can also use it on a desktop via a web browser or desktop client. And all chats are archived in gmail.

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, for app-to-phone VOIP calling, I have had the best experience with Vonage mobile.
For app-to-app calling, I use Skype or Google Talk, as that's what my friends and family already have. None of my people are really motivated to install and learn a new thing just to talk to me.
I've tried Voxer, Viber, Tango and some others. They are all better than Skype but not many of my people use them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones