• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Applications

bzzzzz

Dec 27, 2009
uk
From time to time I choose to install an app from the market, but often there are several apps which serve a similar function. Whilst reading through comments of users, as well as looking at star rating can be helpful I think it would also be useful to have a point of reference on here.

I chose to start this in HTC Hero because that is my phone and also some apps seem to be phone specific in how well they work, and generally most Hero's are similar in their capabilities.

What I would like is another sub menu "Best Applications" and then within that we could then have threads such as "Best Calculator", "Best Camera", "Best sms app", "Best Calendar" etc.

It would give users the opportunity to share which applications were best and why they had chosen them. Within the thread, if there were several examples of front runners we could also run a poll of most used/loved apps in that category.

If you think this is a good idea or have any ways this could be improved please add your comments.

If you're a mod and can help to arrange this, then I would be very grateful.

PS If such a thing already exists please could someone direct me towards it.

Thank you very much.

What I would like is another sub menu "Best Applications" and then within that we could then have threads such as "Best Calculator", "Best Camera", "Best sms app", "Best Calendar" etc.

That won't be possible I'm afraid; the existing sub-forum structure is intended to be uniform across all the device forums.

There's an existing thread, Favorite App so far..., in the Android Applications forum which more-or-less fulfills this purpose but in general terms. That forum is the most appropriate place for discussion of apps.

Upvote 0
That won't be possible I'm afraid; the existing sub-forum structure is intended to be uniform across all the device forums.

There's an existing thread, Favorite App so far..., in the Android Applications forum which more-or-less fulfills this purpose but in general terms. That forum is the most appropriate place for discussion of apps.

Ok thanks for your help in redirecting me. I agree that Android Applications is a much better place to have such a thing. However I completely disagree that Favorite App so far fulfils this purpose.

If I want to find the best camera app for example I would have wade through an awful lot of stuff that would be irrelevant. To work efficiently it would need to be a sub menu within android application. A bit like "All things root in" HTC Hero.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the contribution, but not exactly what I had in mind.

Ideally these would sit in several different threads

astro is the file manager i use, (I assume it is the best, but someone may come up with another one and I'd like to know their arguments as to why)

Easy tether could appear in a tether thread

I'm not certain what the others are, but I'd be interested in having them better catelogued.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones