• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Buy, Black Tie Protection, and broken EVO... OH MY

bigboy1122

Lurker
Sep 20, 2010
A month ago I was getting out of my car, went to shut the car door, and dropped my EVO.

I immediately saw that that the screen was shattered. It still worked, but the entire front looked like a spider web. (No I didn't have any kind of protective case)

I thought to myself, "It won't be so bad, I purchased the Best Buy Black Tie Protection plan".

I took it up there, and the guys at Best Buy gave me a Samsung phone as a loaner. Its not the EPIC, and its not close to the EVO. They told me repairs would take about 1 week.

That happened around mid August. Today I went up there, because its been over a month, to see what was going on. They told me there was a shortage of parts and there is no completion date listed. So I asked about an escalation and to be put on the front of the list to get a new EVO. He said he could do that but they had no EVOs and didn't know when they were going to get any. He then told me he would escalate this for me and put me on the list. I looked at him and said, "no offense, I am not leaving till I see you put my name on a list". The employee takes a piece of paper off the printer and starts a list. Now here is what I don't understand. Everyone is sold out of the EVO. I know BB was taking pre-orders a month ago when my phone broke, so there was a list. He told me there was no one on the pre-order list and that I would be first. I took down his name, the date, and when he said.

Needless to say I don't believe him at all. I am going to walk in later this week to ask about the EVO and ask to see my name on the list. I don't expect the list to be found, nor any news on the EVO, nor any chance of getting a replacement.

I understand that the EVO is out of stock everywhere and there isn't much they can do. But I definitely don't like the way this is being handled.

If I understand the terms correctly the Black Tie Protection costs $10 a month. If the phone is not repaired within 30days, they are suppose to ask for an escalation and get you a new phone. I don't expect that is going to happen.

WHERE ARE ALL THE EVO's

Also, yes I know about the other insurance plans. I decided on this one because I didn't have to pay $150 dollar deductible.

9/22 Update

So yesterday afternoon I called the BB, because I noticed BB had EVOs in stock on their website, and asked if they had any EVO's in. The salesmen replied no but they were taking pre-orders. (The salesmen was the same person I spoke with the day before.) I asked how many pre-orders he had and he said 3-4. I remember him telling me I would be at the top of the list so I decided to go in today to follow up to make sure I was on the top of the list. The person I spoke with on Monday wasn't there but another BB mobile salesmen helped me. Let me just say it was a night and day difference.

I asked him if he had any EVO's in stock, he replied no. I asked to speak with a manager, and he asked what was the issue. I told him that my EVO had been at geeksquad for over 30 days, and before I could finish the sentence he said,"then we need to find you a new one". He finished helping the previous customer and then started calling around. He couldn't find any EVO's at the local stores in the city and told me there were some coming in a couple of days. He took a copy of me geeksqaud form and put it on a pre-order form and put it at the top of the list and told me I would be the first person to receive one. NIGHT AND DAY DIFFERENCE!!!! I asked the salesmen if he had seen the piece of white printer paper w/ my name on it. It was no where to be found, like I thought. I told him that I wasn't happy with the service I received the day before. He shook my hand and apologized sincerely.

I will update in a couple of days to whether I have received it or not. But I do want to go on record that the other salesmen, was horrible. The one that helped me today was awesome.

9/28 update

After 40 plus days evoless, BB finally replaced it with a brand new phone. They said they can't get the parts in to fix them and it took them 1.5 weeks to get a replacement in. I had to hound them several times in the last few weeks. They were suppose to call me when they came in. I called today because I saw that BB had them on their website. And they asked me my name and said,"Yes we have one for you". They also said that everyone that had them sent in for repairs is getting new ones because they couldn't get the parts.

Now, if I didn't have a such an "indemand" phone. Would the turn around time probably have been better? WHO KNOWS.

I will not trust BB again with this. I am just glad to get a brand new phone.

...I looked at him and said, "no offense, I am not leaving till I see you put my name on a list"...I am going to walk in later this week to ask about the EVO and ask to see my name on the list. I don't expect the list to be found...I decided on this one because I didn't have to pay $150 dollar deductible.

Well, he did put you on a list, maybe not the list you wanted, but you didn't specify...;)

The deductible for Asurion is $100 not $150.

Upvote 0
Sprints Insurance (Asurion) is the way to go. I've used it twice and had a working phone the next day for 100bucks. Plus the plan covers much more. I've heard others get EVO's via Asurion the next day (others within a few days) right here on this site. Glad I have Sprints Insurance! :) ...screw that 30day crap with best buy.

Upvote 0
this diffrence is with bb you are paying more $ for less protectoin and crappier service. try turning in a water damaged phone or getting a replacement phone if yours gets lost or stolen. with"black eye protection" youll be s.o.l. id rather pay 7 bucks monthly and know that if anything happens to my ill have a replacement in 2-5 days

Upvote 0
I would but the only option I have is to get the Samsung EPIC. I am sure its a great phone, I just would rather have the EVO.

Get the Epic you will love it. Its a better phone. Why own a product you can't get fixed or even a replacement when needed. Its just silly to put yourself through this crap, HTC is in breech of warranty on the EVO if they can't provide replacement parts in a timely fashion. Call your local BBB and file a breech of warranty claim against HTC and Sprint. Anything with a written warranty has a legal obligation for resolution within a specific time frame, usually 30 days. Sprint and HTC need to pull the Evo off the market until it can meet its legal warranty/service obligations on this product.

Upvote 0
Get the Epic you will love it. Its a better phone. Why own a product you can't get fixed or even a replacement when needed. Its just silly to put yourself through this crap, HTC is in breech of warranty on the EVO if they can't provide replacement parts in a timely fashion. Call your local BBB and file a breech of warranty claim against HTC and Sprint. Anything with a written warranty has a legal obligation for resolution within a specific time frame, usually 30 days. Sprint and HTC need to pull the Evo off the market until it can meet its legal warranty/service obligations on this product.

The EPIC is a better phone IN YOUR OPINION. It is not HTC or Sprint that is breaching the insurance contract, it is Best Buy since that is where he got the insurance. A broken screen would not be covered under any standard manufacturers warranty. I think that Sprint & Assurion has been meeting their contract obligations with regards to replacing EVOs.

Upvote 0

Even if that is true (and I doubt it), he isn't dealing with HTC, nor Sprint, and thus this whole warranty discussion is irrelevant. The issue at hand here is Best Buy, and a broken screen which isn't even covered by warranty.

Upvote 0
Even if that is true (and I doubt it), he isn't dealing with HTC, nor Sprint, and thus this whole warranty discussion is irrelevant. The issue at hand here is Best Buy, and a broken screen which isn't even covered by warranty.

A Manufacturer by law has to have parts available for a minimum of 7 years and available on a timely fashion. Case in point, You buy a new Cadillac and a month later you have an accident with it you take it to the body shop and they tell you sorry sir GM has no idea when the grill and radiator will be available again they said they might have them in six months and oh yea im going to have to charge you storage of $25 a day for having the un repaired wreck just sitting in my back lot. Yes this could happen to you even with a refrigerator or anything you buy for that matter there are laws in place that state a mfg. has to have repair parts available for there products.

Upvote 0
A Manufacturer by law has to have parts available for a minimum of 7 years and available on a timely fashion. Case in point, You buy a new Cadillac and a month later you have an accident with it you take it to the body shop and they tell you sorry sir GM has no idea when the grill and radiator will be available again they said they might have them in six months and oh yea im going to have to charge you storage of $25 a day for having the un repaired wreck just sitting in my back lot. Yes this could happen to you even with a refrigerator or anything you buy for that matter there are laws in place that state a mfg. has to have repair parts available for there products.

A. Just because Best Buy doesn't have the parts doesn't mean they don't exist.
B. Feel free to link to this law that supposedly covers everything ever manufactured. Aka, provide proof. I can't find any such law on Google anywhere. In fact, even posters on Snopes seem to agree that it's silly. A car manufacturer will make parts as long as there's a market for them, as that's extra money for them. They have no reason not to. Why have a law requiring something that said manufacturers would want to provide as much as possible for profit anyway?
C. I'm sure there's some exceptions regarding supply and demand as well.

Upvote 0
I too am feeling the anger towards Best Buy. I bought my EVO there and opted for the $10 insurance plan, dude sold it to me like "if you break your phone, bring it in and we'll give you a new one no questions asked, thats why you pay $10 instead of Sprints $7". I broke my phone at the end of August and have been waiting still. I will never buy a phone or protection plan from BB again. They suck. And there isn't a shortage of EVOs, a friend of mine who works at a Sprint store in Northern VA has a huge stock of them, its BS. I buy the latest phone almost every 6 months, so I'm losing close to 20% of my phones life by it sitting at some repair shop in Texas. Eff Best Buy. I hope they go out of business. And to make matters worse, who can I yell at? The 18 yr old kid making $8 an hr, son of a......

Upvote 0
Never had any issue replacing phone at BB. They always provided me a new phone if they have it in stock. Ask to speak to a manger, if that don't work go to corporate. Someone will get you and evo since its been longer than a month.

I think this guy has the right idea... although its rediculous to have to wait a month... Sprint's insurance will have it the next day in most cases. Anyways, Like he says... go to BestBuy upper management.

Upvote 0

Hold up one second here. A broken screen isnt covered by Best Buy insurance? You sir are sadly mistaken for someone who likes to appear as though they have their facts in order.

Upvote 0
^^

Slow down turbo. He did say WARRANTY, and the warranty covers manufacture defects, not physical damage (like droped phones with broken screens). Best Buy INSURANCE covers most things, but does not cover lost or stolen phones. Sprint INSURANCE covers damage AND lost/stolen phones... which is why I prefer Sprints insurance. And Sprint has been very prompt about getting replacements.

Reactions: Vincent Law
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones