• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Camera for High Contrast Scenes?

persistentone

Sep 4, 2013
My main complaint about cell phone cameras is they take terrible photos in high contrast lighting in full sun. The shadows are harsh and the highlights wash out completely. Which phones take the best photos in high contrast scenes? I am guessing this will require some form of HDR to process out the highlights and try to grab more information from the shadows. How does the Samsung S9 do in this area?

The auto hdr on the pixels also does a pretty good job. I've seen good results from recent HTC flagships too

HDR is certainly the only solution here. These itty bitty sensors have limited dynamic ranges, though there are plenty of scenes where even an slr struggles with a single exposure.

I've never used an S9 so couldn't tell you anything you couldn't find in reviews. Look for real world photos, ideally taken at the same time with different phones - AnandTech are very slow writing reviews, but often do include just this in them.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones