• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Best Custom ROM

tintumat

Lurker
Oct 3, 2009
hi,

I'm using a HTC hero on the stock android 2.1. I would like to install a Custom ROM, so please suggest the best one . I've been contemplating FroydVillain 1.5.0 n VillainROM 12, Help me out.

also how to go about rooting like back up n installing.

Thanks in advance.

i can only give you my input on 2 because i have only used 2 and they are villain12 and froyd 1.5

ok i thought villain 12 was great never had no problems with it (if you want to keep sense get this )

and froyd i was un sure at 1st , i missed sense ..well i think i missed sense clock and weather most lol now i have had this running for a week or so and got it set up properly , i doubt very much i would go back to a 2.1 ROM, (this ROM is more customizable) and loving it

Reactions: tintumat
Upvote 0
Villain 12 is just a rooted and tweaked version of your current ROM. This is the most stable option.

Any 2.2 based ROM wont have HTC Sense any more, so you lose the Sense theme and all it's associated apps + widgets, but you can skin it and replace a lot of those apps + widgets. But it will be significantly faster thanks to improvements in 2.2 compared to 2.1.

Froyd 1.5 is a good choice, although a few of us have switched to Elelinux, which seems a bit better IMO.

Reactions: tintumat
Upvote 0
Villain 12 in theory should be the most stable as it is the one which has been longest in development, and is the only one actually based on an official Hero ROM.

However, I can't comment for sure as Villain 12 is the only one of the three I've actually used myself. But having read the forum, if you want to go for a 2.2 ROM, Elelinux seems to be the one getting the better feedback.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones