• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best DUAL SIM android phone?

And you'd be wrong... After testing, I have simultaneous active Dual SIM support and no trouble using 3G here in the USA.

As far as the processor, sure it's not a gigaherz dual-core monster, but not everyone needs a powerhouse or pay $500 for a phone. For normal everyday use and with the Android software I use, the processor works as advertised and for under $160 US delivered.

Not defending... just comparing. :)

It is not dual sim active but dual sim standby. It is not the same.

Don't know what you got working, but the chipset MT6516 does not support 3G, that is a fact (MT6516) - have you tested the download speed?

About the speed and user experience, I guess it depends on the user. I have had a 6516 phone - it works, but it is slow. Compared to the fact that you can get the Lenovo A60 with a better chipcet for 140$, I would not rate this phone as a good buy...

And this is not meanth as an attach, it is just important to get the fact right ;)

Upvote 0
No, I've resisted ordering one for my wife ... so far. I think that she really wants a dual sim version of the Samsung Galaxy SII. In the meanwhile I did buy her a Galaxy Tab 7.7 - the new one with the Super Amoled display. She's currently using that as a phone, together with her old Nokia N97mini.

Oh, and just to confirm - I have never received any demand for import duty, or any other taxes, on the G11i Pro. ... and the phone just keeps getting better and better with each new modified ROM released by Bruno.

yeah ive been keeping tabs on Bruno's but right now im using Lenovo A60 (with some of bruno's enhancements and might decide to wait for the latest MTK phone that I guess bruno will be switching to.

BTW, i suggest you buy your wife Samsung Galaxy Y Duo (touch screen) or Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duo (qwerty). they come in dual sims!!! and available locally now! at around 8 or 9k.

Just my few cents worth.

;)

Upvote 0
For G11i Pro users, how is the battery life?

That does depend on configuration and use. I keep a charger by my bedside, and recharge every night. However, when I have forgotten to charge, I have seen battery levels of 65% after 24 hours.

If my daughter plays Angry Birds, it can go flat in a few hours.

Also, how much internal storage is user-accessible?

Available RAM is 446.6MB. ROM is 220.1MB (but this probably depends on what ROM Image is loaded - I have Bruno's v3.3 installed)

And are there any other places aside from etowalk/etotalk to buy it from? Shipping to the US from those sites is $100 per phone. :(

I wouldn't know ... but I'm sure that there is more than one copy of the HTC Incredible S - how would you know that it is exactly the same as that offered by etotalk? For instance, this one seems to match description, but the internals look completely different: Wholesale MTK6573 G11 Pro G11i Android 2.3 OS 4.0 inch Capacitive screen Dual sim GSM+WCDMA 3G cell phone +8GB card

Upvote 0
For G11i Pro users, how is the battery life?

In my experience with the MT6573 based phones the battery life is incredibly good when the phone is in standby (you can leave the phone a whole night with almost no battery drain), and incredibly bad when the phone is used (something like 30% or even more for every hour of browser usage)..

For comparison my ZTE U960 drains 20% overnight (like any decent single SIM smartphone), but on the real usage drains something like 10/15% for every hour of Internet browsing

BTW is not all due to the CPU/display consumption, the fake batteries have a part on those numbers.

Usually the cheap clones are coming with batteries that are relabeled 1000mAh batteries.

So, when is possible, a true battery from mugen or from the cloned phone, can make the phone usable.

BTW I don't know if there's any replacement battery for the G11 (the HD7 and the HD9 will work with the batteries meant for the original HTC HD2)

Upvote 0
That does depend on configuration and use. I keep a charger by my bedside, and recharge every night. However, when I have forgotten to charge, I have seen battery levels of 65% after 24 hours.

If my daughter plays Angry Birds, it can go flat in a few hours.

Available RAM is 446.6MB. ROM is 220.1MB (but this probably depends on what ROM Image is loaded - I have Bruno's v3.3 installed)
In my experience with the MT6573 based phones the battery life is incredibly good when the phone is in standby (you can leave the phone a whole night with almost no battery drain), and incredibly bad when the phone is used (something like 30% or even more for every hour of browser usage)..

For comparison my ZTE U960 drains 20% overnight (like any decent single SIM smartphone), but on the real usage drains something like 10/15% for every hour of Internet browsing
Thank you both for the info! Looks like battery life might even be better than the LG Optimus One. I'm mostly concerned with standby use. When I'm out and about, it'll probably only be used for texting anyway (seriously, none of my friends even bother to answer phone calls).

I wouldn't know ... but I'm sure that there is more than one copy of the HTC Incredible S - how would you know that it is exactly the same as that offered by etotalk? For instance, this one seems to match description, but the internals look completely different: Wholesale MTK6573 G11 Pro G11i Android 2.3 OS 4.0 inch Capacitive screen Dual sim GSM+WCDMA 3G cell phone +8GB card
That's a good point. Maybe I can just have the phone delivered to my grandmother in the Philippines to save on shipping. We'll be going to her place directly from the airport anyway. How long did shipping to the Philippines take?

I'm also wondering if I should wait for the MT6575 phones to be released. I don't need the phone right away. I'm quite happy with my Nexus S. I'll only need a dual-SIM when the family goes on vacation to the Philippines during Christmas time. Last time I went home, I was carrying 2 phones with me, one for Globe and one for Smart and I also bought a couple of Globe Tattoo 3G USB adaptors for my brother and mine's laptops. I think having just one dual-SIM Android device with hotspot capability would be a lot more convenient on my next visit.

Another nice thing with going Android, I could opt to use either the Globe or Smart SIM for mobile data depending on which network gives me better speeds/more reliable connection. That reminds me, for the hotspot feature, can you use either SIM card or does it have to be SIM 1?

Upvote 0
That's a good point. Maybe I can just have the phone delivered to my grandmother in the Philippines to save on shipping. We'll be going to her place directly from the airport anyway. How long did shipping to the Philippines take?

I had it sent by EMS. Quoted delivery time was 10 days, which meant it should have arrived on December 24, but it actually arrived just after Christmas. It seemed to spend one week in China, going nowhere!

I'm also wondering if I should wait for the MT6575 phones to be released. I don't need the phone right away. I'm quite happy with my Nexus S. I'll only need a dual-SIM when the family goes on vacation to the Philippines during Christmas time.

If you really don't need it till Christmas, I suggest that you wait before ordering. The new models are due out any day now ... wait and see what Bruno supports. There may even be a further generation by then!

Where in Phils? Luzon? I'm in Davao del Norte, Mindanao.

Last time I went home, I was carrying 2 phones with me, one for Globe and one for Smart and I also bought a couple of Globe Tattoo 3G USB adaptors for my brother and mine's laptops. I think having just one dual-SIM Android device with hotspot capability would be a lot more convenient on my next visit.

Another nice thing with going Android, I could opt to use either the Globe or Smart SIM for mobile data depending on which network gives me better speeds/more reliable connection. That reminds me, for the hotspot feature, can you use either SIM card or does it have to be SIM 1?

I haven't actually tried the hotspot - I'll try to find time to test this.

Upvote 0

The hotspot works as expected, btw the problem of MT6573 phones (SIM 2 unreachable while data are transferred ) make useless either the dual SIM or the hotspot functionality.

That problem is already a dealbreaker on an android phone itself, that transfers data more often than not, but in a tethered configuration the sim 2 will be practically never reachable.

I really hope this will be fixed on the upcoming MT6575 chipset.

@rui-no-onna

If you need the hotspot functionality is better to look at the Qualcomm based phones: the U960 is obviously unaffected because is a full dual radio phone, but (AFAIK) even the cheap clones based on the MSM7227 aren't affected

Upvote 0
The hotspot works as expected, btw the problem of MT6573 phones (SIM 2 unreachable while data are transferred ) make useless either the dual SIM or the hotspot functionality.

That problem is already a dealbreaker on an android phone itself, that transfers data more often than not, but in a tethered configuration the sim 2 will be practically never reachable.

I really hope this will be fixed on the upcoming MT6575 chipset.

@rui-no-onna

If you need the hotspot functionality is better to look at the Qualcomm based phones: the U960 is obviously unaffected because is a full dual radio phone, but (AFAIK) even the cheap clones based on the MSM7227 aren't affected

AFAIK the latest rom of bruno has fixed that issue. even if SIM1 is in use, sim 2 can already be contacted. before, the data gets disconnected so that you can answer calls on SIM2. Same if calling SIM1. though i have not yet bought the HTC clone supported by Bruno.

I will be waiting for the latest 6575 handsets but i doubt if the price will be same as the 6573s

Upvote 0
I had it sent by EMS. Quoted delivery time was 10 days, which meant it should have arrived on December 24, but it actually arrived just after Christmas. It seemed to spend one week in China, going nowhere!

Where in Phils? Luzon? I'm in Davao del Norte, Mindanao.
Looks like I best order it a month in advance then. Yep, in Luzon. Quezon City. Interesting though, just checked etotalk website and shipping prices to the US have dropped. Perhaps they just had a weird bug before?

If you really don't need it till Christmas, I suggest that you wait before ordering. The new models are due out any day now ... wait and see what Bruno supports. There may even be a further generation by then!
Yeah. That's what I was thinking. Besides, with the savings on shipping, even if the MT6575's do cost a bit more than the MT6573's, total would likely be just a little bit more than if I had the G11i Pro shipped to the US. At the very least, I think waiting will lower prices on current models.

Thank you. :)

@The Solutor
That ZTE U960 certainly looks nice. A bit pricey, though. Since this is just a back-up phone, I'm limiting myself to $350 total (including shipping) so the U960 is out unless the price drops.

Upvote 0
@The Solutor
That ZTE U960 certainly looks nice. A bit pricey, though. Since this is just a back-up phone, I'm limiting myself to $350 total (including shipping) so the U960 is out unless the price drops.

I don't want to advertise that phone, just pointing out that is a phone in it's own class, speaking about the dual sim world. It's surely too much for a second phone.

Btw If it's a backup why not consider a good featurephone instead of a cheap smartphone to stay in the budget ?

Upvote 0
AFAIK the latest rom of bruno has fixed that issue. even if SIM1 is in use, sim 2 can already be contacted. before, the data gets disconnected so that you can answer calls on SIM2. Same if calling SIM1. though i have not yet bought the HTC clone supported by Bruno.

Good to know, if it's true.

BTW i guess that bruno has nothing to do with this.

Likely mediatek has released an improved baseband, otherwise could be hard to believe that bruno itself fixed something that Philips, Lenovo, Alcatel and so on were unable to fix.

Possible, but basebands requires very high skills on a tiny bit of tech.

Upvote 0
I don't want to advertise that phone, just pointing out that is a phone in it's own class, speaking about the dual sim world. It's surely too much for a second phone.
Lol, it won't even be second. Right now, my primary is an iPhone 4 and back-up phones (that are in active use) are Samsung Nexus S, Samsung Galaxy S 4G, Sony Xperia Ray, LG Thrive and LG Quantum so that would make whatever I buy... seventh?

Btw If it's a backup why not consider a good featurephone instead of a cheap smartphone to stay in the budget ?
I would want access to certain Google services such as contact syncing and Google Voice (using GrooVe IP for voice calls and the official app for voicemail and SMS) as well as access to certain apps (e.g. Mantano Reader, Dropbox, Kindle). I also want wi-fi hotspot support so I don't have to get separate SIM cards and 3G USB adapters for our laptops.

Android is already familiar to me. With feature phones, I'd have to research which ones would have the features I want. Even then, I'd still probably lose access to favorite apps and the interface could be something I absolutely hate. Even my mom finds Android's interface easier to use compared to her short-lived Nokia C3 and that's saying a lot since she dislikes Android.

Dual SIM Android phones might be pricier compared to feature phones but I find the disparity acceptable for the convenience it offers. Now if the minimum for a dual SIM Android is $400, then I'd be looking at other options (including carrying two phones with me all the time).

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help Solutor, got the ZTE U960 running perfectly now. All in all its a pretty damn good phone - certainly the only choice if you want to use 2 european 3G GSM cards, nothing else available comes close.

All works as expected, the only positives and negatives that stand out for me are:

- would have liked a better quality screen. Its okay, but obviously not up to iPhone resolutions.
+ Battery much better than expected, really can do nearly 2 days with everything left on.
- Feels a bit plastic & cheap, wish it didn't have the logo's then it would look a lot better.
+ Dual sim management is very good, although it took me a while to realise that 3G only works in SIM2 when you are using 2 GSM sims.
- Have had one or 2 crashes playing games
+ Finally a dual sim phone with enough storage not to have to move all apps to SD!
- slow start up. Also sometimes lags a bit, although only temporarily.

Its the first dual sim phone that I'm actually going to keep using rather than throwing in the back of a drawer in frustration, so finally i'm only carrying one phone instead of my Desire Z & 4s :)

Anyone one want to buy an HDC A9100 or an H7000? They're not much use as phones, but they make nice paper weights.

Hi

Got a HDC A9100 - really like it.

What benefits of U960 stand out over a9100

How much did you pay for U960?

Any other phones considered better than A9100?

Thanks

Upvote 0
I'm following this phone and the ZTE U960, the last is more expensive and the first is my prefferred.

I have a question from buy on etotalk, what the meaning of select the phone with de keyboard language or rooted or with market.

If I no select any option I couldn't root, put market or install a spanish keyboard?

What did you recommend?

Thank you

Upvote 0
Hi

Got a HDC A9100 - really like it.

What benefits of U960 stand out over a9100

Maybe true phone with true batteries v.s. fake phone with fake batteries ?

Any other phones considered better than A9100?

Anything from the upcoming generation, like the zopo zp100, lenovo a750 and all the announced or already released phones with the new MTK cpu (mt 6575)

Upvote 0
I'm following this phone and the ZTE U960, the last is more expensive and the first is my prefferred.

I have a question from buy on etotalk, what the meaning of select the phone with de keyboard language or rooted or with market.

If I no select any option I couldn't root, put market or install a spanish keyboard?

What did you recommend?

Thank you

It depends on your skill with android and computers in general.

Rooting the phone is easy enough but, on the other hand the price asked to root the phone, install android market and so on, is not so pricey

Upvote 0
yeah ive been keeping tabs on Bruno's but right now im using Lenovo A60 (with some of bruno's enhancements and might decide to wait for the latest MTK phone that I guess bruno will be switching to.

Indeed, he's already made that intention known to me ... I'm waiting to see which model he chooses.

BTW, i suggest you buy your wife Samsung Galaxy Y Duo (touch screen) or Samsung Galaxy Y Pro Duo (qwerty). they come in dual sims!!! and available locally now! at around 8 or 9k.
Yes, we'd already had our eye on the Galaxy y Duos, and have already seen it in Davao (not yet in Tagum) - the only drawback is the small (and low resolution) screen.

Upvote 0
Good to know, if it's true.

BTW i guess that bruno has nothing to do with this.

Likely mediatek has released an improved baseband, otherwise could be hard to believe that bruno itself fixed something that Philips, Lenovo, Alcatel and so on were unable to fix.

Possible, but basebands requires very high skills on a tiny bit of tech.

I guess youre right but not sure if that can be applicable to other phones like my Lenovo A60. Dont know where in the OS side it is located so that if it can be ported, then it can be applied to other OS as well.

Any idea?

Upvote 0
Hi all, just a quick post and review on the Alcatel 918D I have owned now for a month.

Got it from Ebay Germany for 120 Euros + shipping, and I have to say I'm impressed by this cheapo little dual sim device.

Fairly good quality feel
Good battery time.
Great screen (well for the size, beats my old HTC wildfire by far)
Decent speed (again, beats the wildfire)
Good size and fairly lightweight...

So to the minus.

The provided headset is pretty crap.
Rumors about some apps not working (allthough haven't found one)
Bloatware that comes preinstalled.

Hope it helps some of you .

Best regards
The Swede

Upvote 0
Hi everyone
For those who still look for a chinese Dual SIM mobiles seller, you can buy them also at:
Buy Chinese Mobile Phones, Android Tablet & Apple Ipad, Car DVD Player
They seems to be Canadian (read about us) and they offer free shipping for the same etotalk stars like ZTE U960, Lenovo A60, P70, A750 or Hisense HS-U8 or even the new Zopo ZP100.
I've never bought anything from them so I cannot say a word in favor or against. I am just leaving this info. Maybe someone can leave its experience with them. By the way, I don't work for them neither.
Regards
DaniSP

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones