• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best JuiceDefender settings for optimal battery life with minimal consequences

bamhm182

May 5, 2011
I recently found out about this application called JuiceDefender and wanted to share the settings I found to work the best on my non-rooted Nexus S 4G. I'm posting from it now, so that I don't lose any work I've done, I'm going to continuously save and edit this post, so it will be incomplete for a short while.

Status Tab said:

Profile: Advanced - It is slightly more confusing than the other settings, but with this guide, you'll get the best possible battery life.

Notification: Text/Disabled - graphical notification uses more battery life than either one of these. I like the notification, but you can turn it off. There is next to no battery difference between text and disabled.

Options: No effect. Choose your preference.

Help: No effect. Choose your preference.

Controls Tab said:
Mobile Data: Enabled - Automatically turns off your data when you don't need it. This is one of the biggest battery savers of JuiceDefender.

Tablet Mode: Disabled - Odds are you should have this disabled. Only enable it if you have a data only connection or it will break your calling/texting ability.

Wifi: Enabled - Automatically turns off your Wifi when you don't need it. This is also one of the biggest battery savers of JuiceDefender.

Options:
auto disable: Disabled - Another feature disables it automatically.
wifi preferred: Enabled - Wifi is better for you battery if it's available. This will automatically turn on your Wifi to connect to known routers.

3G: Unsupported by my phone, don't know.

Disable timeout: Part of 3G

AutoSync: ping - best option, especially for people without an unlimited data plan.

Keep enabled: all off - There's not really a reason to keep any of the listed connections on all the time due to the other features of JuiceDefender.

Timeout: User preference - I don't think it makes a huge difference in battery life, but it uses less battery if it's disabled just because your phone isn't checking to see if it's at your house constantly.

Keyguard: part of Timeout

Home WiFi network: part of Timeout

Brightness: only available in the beta as of now. I personally have a widget that lets me toggle my brightness between 0% and automatic.

Levels: part of Brightness

Light sensor: part of Brightness. Turn it on if your phone supports it.

Night tint No effect on battery life.

CPU: Must be rooted. The lower your CPU speed is, the less battery it uses. Keep that in mind and find suitable speed settings for you.

Speeds: part of CPU

Governor: part of CPU

Schedules Tab said:
Schedule: Enabled - It uses more battery life than disabled, but it lets you applications connect every once in a while to update their data.

Frequency: User preference - I chose 30 minutes. This just means that every 30 minutes, my radio will briefly turn on to update my programs. Set it longer for better battery or shorter for more updates.

Duration: User preference - I chose 1 minute. This means every 30 minutes my data will be connected for 1 minute.

Controls: Default - No need to mess with this setting most the time.

Night: User preference - If you always go to bed and wake up at a certain time, this feature comes in handy by disabling the schedules between certain times of the night. I never go to sleep at the same time every night, so I have it disabled.

Start/End: User preference - Sets the time in which schedules aren't run.

Adaptive start/end: User preference - If you don't always go to bed at a certain time, this temporarily enables the schedules if you're using your phone in the time when you've said you'd be sleeping.

Options: User preference
airplane - completely disables all phone functionality at night.
silent - silences phone at night
vibrate - vibrates phone at night

Peak: User preference - if there's a time were you need to update more frequently, you can set the peak time and change the interval.
Start/End: User preference - Start and end times of Peak
Frequency: User preference - Frequency of updates during peak.
Duration: User preference - minimum time for updates to stay connected during peak
Controls: User preference - choose to only have certain radios active at peak.

Weekend: Same as Peak, but only active on the weekends

Nights on Weekend: Same as Nights, but only on weekends

Peak on Weekend: Same as Peak, but only on weekends

Triggers Tab said:
Battery: enabled - turns off the radios when the battery is almost dead. Helpful to prevent you from waisting your juice when the battery is almost dead.

threshold: User preference - determines when the radios will turn off based on how full the battery is.

Charger: User preference - radios stay on when plugged in

Screen: enabled - one of my favorite features. It turns the radio on automatically when the screen's on. With this enabled, you don't have to go enable the radios when you need to use something.

Ignore on low battery: Keeps the radios disabled if you're almost out of juice. Works in conjunction with Battery.

Controls: Default - Just let JuiceDefender worry about which radios you should be using.

Traffic: Enabled - Comes in handy if you're downloading something and the screen shuts off. It will finish the download, then disable the radio.
Traffic threshold: User preference - determines the requirements to keep downloading after the screen has shut off.

Apps: Enabled - Some applications don't use the radio, but if you have the radio set to be on while the screen is on, your radio will be on if this isn't enabled.

Configure:
Interactive: Enabled - Makes it easy to sort give apps radio instructions
Configure Apps: I'll be including a section for the apps I currently have installed and the settings they should use.
Enable: Radio is automatically on only when app is open.
Enable/screen off: Same as above, but Radio is also on when it is being used in the background/the screen is off.
Disabled: Radio is automatically off. Use only on apps that don't need the radio.

Controls: default - JuiceDefender does a good job with the defaults

Location: Enabled - Since Wifi is better on your battery, this feature is handy. It automatically checks to see if you're near a location that you commonly use Wifi around.

Configure Apps:
Amazon: Enabled - It's an online store.
AndExplorer: Disabled - Only needs access to your local phone.
AndFTP: Enabled - It's used to connect to your servers.
Android Id3: Enabled - Needs internet to connect to tagging sources.
Angry Birds: Disabled - Doesn't need internet. All social features launch your web browser.
Angry Birds Seasons: Disabled - Doesn't need internet. All social features launch your web browser.
Angry Birds Rio: Disabled - Doesn't need internet. All social features launch your web browser.
Amazon Appstore: Enabled or Enabled/screen off - Needs the internet to connect to the store.
Bible: Enabled - Needs the internet for some features; Reading, downloading, your account.
Bonsai Blast: Disabled - Doesn't need the internet.
Books: Enabled - Uses internet to get books.
Browser: Enabled - Obviously.
Bubble Popper: Enabled - Has leaderboards
Calculator: Disabled - Not needed
Calendar: Unsure - Might be needed for syncing. Otherwise, it's not needed.
Camera: Disabled - Not needed, sharing pictures/video takes place in gallery.
CamScanner: Enabled - Needed to send documents.
Car Home: Enabled - Needed for features you're likely to use along with the car home.
Clock: Enabled - Needed for weather.
Color Touch: Enabled - Needed to pull pictures from facebook.
Contacts: Unsure - Might be needed to sync contacts.

If you have any suggestions for better life or suggestions for applications to be added, post here. I'll look over it and update this post.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones