• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Rom with good GPS support

Kelemvor

Nov 12, 2010
Hi all,

My wife has an Optimus S and when it had Froyo it worked great. Then Sprint pushed out the Gingerbread update and she started having all kinds of problems with the GPS. Mainly that it takes forever to get a lock and it drops the lock all the time and just sits searching for it again. Other than that, the phone works fine.

The phone is rooted but that was only to install Wifi Tether and LinkSD. It is running the stock Rom.

I'm wondering if this happens to be a known issue and if there's a good fix for it by using another Rom. I'm open to Gingerbread or ICS of that'd be a better option.

If there is a good Rom to use, then I need to know if there are step-by-step instructions on how I'd go about installing the new ROm since the phone is already rooted. I know I can skip certain steps with an already rooted phone but don't want to skip the wrong ones and mess something up.

Any help would be great.

Thanks!

The GPS lock-lag is common on the Optimus S. It's been discussed here several times in the past. I used to have the problems myself and it really sucked. I haven't experienced that problem in a long time and haven't thought about it in a long time, but that may be because I installed a custom ROM ("Reborn ROM") a long time ago. Not sure.

Reborn ROM is so much better than the stock ROM. I'd highly recommend it. I wrote a detailed, step-by-step, spoon-fed guide for rooting the Optimus S and installing a custom ROM. Since you've already rooted, you could skip step #2.
http://androidforums.com/optimus-s-...ep-step-rooting-flashing-guide-optimus-s.html

Upvote 0
I want to second the above poster - Reborn ROM is the best ROM I've used on the Optimus S, hands down.

I had the same GPS problems when I updated to ZVH (and they persist in ZVJ) on HydroROM, and was forced to go back to ZVD (fast GPS is important to me).

Since then I have been messing with the ICS ROMs because I like the interface so much more, but they have their own host of issues.

If you're (or rather, your wife) is happy on Froyo, you need Reborn ROM - stat.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones