• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Verizon Alternative to HTC Thunderbolt?

Yeah I just called Verizon to find out any info on the TBolt and when I asked the dude about the Droid Incredible he flat out told me:

1) We are no longer carrying the Droid Incredible. You may be able to get it online but that stock is rapidly depleting. A new version of it is coming out soon (??).

2) If you want the Thunderbolt WAIT before you buy the Droid X. The X is only being carried for about another 3-4 weeks and it is also being phased out. You will see agressive advertising with low pricing like we did for the Incredible.

3) Verizon manager: I am purely speculating BUT... all I can say is very very soon. Me: This month? Verizon manager: Again, very very soon.

Sooooo yeah - interesting o_O

1. is the incredible 2

not sure about the other stuff he said

Upvote 0
I'm trying to hold out and the Incredible 2 or "S". 4g is gonna be awhile where I live, so depending on the price/release date on the "S", i'm either getting that or an old one for free online.

that's my new plan since the wife went iphone

I'm in the same boat with the 4g and I really think I will like the size of the Inc2 compared the the TB

Upvote 0
Exactly!! I had it down between the ip4 and TB. There's this kid at work that has an ip4 and he let me play with it and I asked him if he did something to his phone cause it only has 3 screen!? He said "no" :eek:. I really wanted the phone to impress me, but i felt no love. The screen is awesome though.

are you guys talking about home screens? iphone 4 by default has only three screens but as you add more apps you can have as many screens as you want. Once you run out of the 3rd screen the 4th one will be added and so on.

Upvote 0
Mike, pretty vague there. Freedom from what. With my OG droid I was able to overclock (needed to overclock)...don't need that with the X. Moto blur is almost taken out of the equation with Launcher Pro. Most of my custom roms were all set up the same with LP on my OGdroid anyway. It would be nice to get rid of some of the bloat but it does not seem to slow the phone down nor does the battery seem to suffer (although I cannot tell since I am not rooted, but the battery life is more than adequate enough). Wifi tether would be nice but to tell you the truth I used it about a half dozen time with my droid so I can make due otherwise. I find less need to tether since the screen is so much better and browsing on the phone is more acceptable.

I am open to all convicing :)

Freedom to configure your phone just about any way you want to. Freedom to remove bloatware - or freeze it with Titanium BU, Freedom to install custom roms if you chose, which usually have all of the cool features of the upcoming OTA updates months before the official roll-out. Freedom to not be stuck waiting for Motorola or HTC and Verizon to send you what THEY think your phone needs in the way of upgrades. When you're rooted, YOU control what goes on with your phone - not some company.

My two cents worth...

-Mike

Upvote 0
Yeah I just called Verizon to find out any info on the TBolt and when I asked the dude about the Droid Incredible he flat out told me:

1) We are no longer carrying the Droid Incredible. You may be able to get it online but that stock is rapidly depleting. A new version of it is coming out soon (??).

2) If you want the Thunderbolt WAIT before you buy the Droid X. The X is only being carried for about another 3-4 weeks and it is also being phased out. You will see agressive advertising with low pricing like we did for the Incredible.

3) (in regards to the Thunderbolt release): Verizon manager: I am purely speculating BUT... all I can say is very very soon. Me: This month? Verizon manager: Again, very very soon.

Sooooo yeah - interesting o_O

:eek:

That's interesting. I was browsing the VZW site and the Incredible says, "That color is temporarily out of stock." Uh, yeah, only comes in one color. Is that their sneaky way of saying it's done for? :( We haven't even hit the year mark yet.

Upvote 0
:eek:

That's interesting. I was browsing the VZW site and the Incredible says, "That color is temporarily out of stock." Uh, yeah, only comes in one color. Is that their sneaky way of saying it's done for? :( We haven't even hit the year mark yet.

So as I may have mentioned, I went to pick up an incredible today.

Long story short, I didn't get the phone.

Long story, even longer:

{0/1}I went to Bestbuy and they refused to price match Costco online ($.01 and includes a car charger, carry case, and headphones) because it was online. Refused to match the in store price of $29.99 (not sure if it came with accessories) because she called and supposedly they were out of stock. Go figure... Also, the lady there flat out told me that, no, they do not match Verizon's NE2 even though my buddy who works there flat out said that they will.

{0/2}On my way to Costco to check in person, I realized I couldn't find my membership card and it is no longer current...

{0/3}Stopped at a Verizon retailer who, instead of matching Costco, wanted to give me $50 off plus a $50 mail in rebate. I didn't take her deal because mail in rebate on top of 14day/$50 return policy, and tax on the whole phone rather than just the sale price is ridiculous and would add up to over $100 if I kept the phone and failed to do the rebate. Or $50+tax on the full price of the TB if i exchanged it. Either way, they cost me well over $100 extra.

I guess my only options now (if I don't want to pay >$100 for a discontinued phone I don't really want) are to wait for the TB to come out, wait for the local Costco to get them back in stock, or go in to BB again when my buddy is working and see what he can do for me.

And for everyone who doesn't care for my story and wants to know about the Thunderbolt; everywhere I went, I asked about it and every single person said they don't have any idea when it will be available.

Upvote 0
So as I may have mentioned, I went to pick up an incredible today.

Long story short, I didn't get the phone.

Long story, even longer:

{0/1}I went to Bestbuy and they refused to price match Costco online ($.01 and includes a car charger, carry case, and headphones) because it was online. Refused to match the in store price of $29.99 (not sure if it came with accessories) because she called and supposedly they were out of stock. Go figure... Also, the lady there flat out told me that, no, they do not match Verizon's NE2 even though my buddy who works there flat out said that they will.

{0/2}On my way to Costco to check in person, I realized I couldn't find my membership card and it is no longer current...

{0/3}Stopped at a Verizon retailer who, instead of matching Costco, wanted to give me $50 off plus a $50 mail in rebate. I didn't take her deal because mail in rebate on top of 14day/$50 return policy, and tax on the whole phone rather than just the sale price is ridiculous and would add up to over $100 if I kept the phone and failed to do the rebate. Or $50+tax on the full price of the TB if i exchanged it. Either way, they cost me well over $100 extra.

I guess my only options now (if I don't want to pay >$100 for a discontinued phone I don't really want) are to wait for the TB to come out, wait for the local Costco to get them back in stock, or go in to BB again when my buddy is working and see what he can do for me.

And for everyone who doesn't care for my story and wants to know about the Thunderbolt; everywhere I went, I asked about it and every single person said they don't have any idea when it will be available.

It was a sign! The phone gods are telling you to wait a bit longer for the TB. It will be worth the wait.. I went ahead an returned my iPhone the day after I bought it..

Upvote 0
It was a sign! The phone gods are telling you to wait a bit longer for the TB. It will be worth the wait.. I went ahead an returned my iPhone the day after I bought it..

haha, thats what I was thinking. Im dieing over here, I've been without a phone for over a month. If the infinite wait for the TB wasn't bad enough, this phone is going to be EXPENSIVE. But every time I think about those features, I die a little inside thinking about what it would be like without them.

Upvote 0
haha, thats what I was thinking. Im dieing over here, I've been without a phone for over a month. If the infinite wait for the TB wasn't bad enough, this phone is going to be EXPENSIVE. But every time I think about those features, I die a little inside thinking about what it would be like without them.

Haha the vids keep me going.. Plus you can sync a wii controller to it and play the emulators (Nesoid etc.) Plus the kickstand.. It will be great! But if we dont hear anything by the 17th I might have to pass it up..

Upvote 0
I gave up, quit, threw in the towel, and decided to stop waiting. There won't be 4G in my area for a long while yet, so the $29 unlimited 3G data plan sounds just fine for now. I picked up a Droid X CPO for $169 on a 1 year plan from VZW.com about 15 minutes ago. The CPO Droid X comes with the 16GB microSD; the non-CPO Droid X comes with a 2GB microSD card and is $219 on a 1 year. It was $179 yesterday - oh well...

Anyway, I wanted to offer up a 30% off promo code for anyone else in the same boat as I was. I joined a live chat session when the window popped up solely to ask about the T-Bolt. "Nothing to report", etc. So, she stayed on the line with me through the process and said "Let me know when you get to the checkout cart - I have a promo code for you to use."

The code is:
2011Q130PC

I asked for her permission to share it and she said yes. Apparently, it is good for the following conditions:
- New customers only (I am switching from Ma Bell)
- CPO phones only
- Alas, not all CPO phones

It saved me $51 off the cost of the phone, which is a great way to welcome a new customer. Thanks VZW!

Upvote 0
I actually went ahead and picked up the X. I had some expenses come up and didn't think I should be spending $250-$300 on a new phone. There is another upgrade available on my account so I'll use that later in the year when some dual cores come out.

The X only cost me a $1 at Best Buy. Normally it's like $150 but they did a price match with Wal-Mart's website. Can't complain there. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones