• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

best way of moving apps to new phone

boatman

Android Enthusiast
Nov 19, 2009
since many of us will be upgrading and switching phones in the next week or 2, this brings me to ask, what is the best way of moving apps over.

For instance, I have a droid 3, which has internal storage of 8 gb and i have another 8 gb sd card in there. i have moved as many apps over to the card as possible.

when i get my maxx or s3, i login into my google account.

will any/all registered apps just come over?

can i just move my sd card unformatted to the new phone, or will it confuse everything since i has a bunch of apps that are unregistered to the new phone? it has my music and photos, which i do want there, so i didn't want to have to format the card. I think in the past (it was 18 months ago), i moved the music and dcim directory to the computer, then after i formated the card, i moved them back?

thanks for any help.

When you log into your Google account all paid apps will be available for download, you may have to search for the free ones to download again. Also if you use Google to back up your contacts they will automatically show up as well.
As far as the SD card goes I would back up all music and photos to a folder on a computer, put it in the new phone and format it then transfer your music and photos back over.
If your rooted and plan on rooting your new phone you can't go wrong with the paid version of Titanium Backup from the play store, a almost must have app for any root user.

Upvote 0
Now a days, all my apps (free and paid) will automatically start installing when I activate my phone and sign into Google (after a data wipe). This may be an ICS thing though, I dunno.
Yes, but you don't get app data (i.e. angry birds saved progress).

By far the easiest way, if you are rooted on both phones, is titanium backup and restore. You'll have all of your apps configured exactly as they were on the old phone.

Upvote 0
I asked a Verizon tech support guy about rooting and he said he wouldn't recommend it because it voids the warranty. Is this a bunch of BS? I need to migrate to a new phone, but not sure of the best way to do it either. If I root them both, can I un-root them after the 'image' of the old phone is restored on the new phone? Every time I get a new phone I have to deal with this, and every time I look up rooting because of Titanium, and every time I decide "bah!, rooting doesn't seem worth it", but there are always a few apps that need rooting, like Titanium, ... ugh.

Upvote 0
The first rule of rooting is that you do not talk to your carrier about rooting.

If you blow up your phone (via rooting or flashing) and expect VZW to clean up your mess, they may argue that it voids your warranty ("modifying software" is not allowed per your contract). You could also argue that logging in as root doesn't modify software at all; it merely installs an app.

It all boils down to how busy the tech guy is and how nice you are. If his plate is full and you act like VZW owes you something, you'll probably be told to "get bent" ("voided warranty"). If you made a reasonable attempt to put the phone back to stock but it still doesn't work right, some meekness in asking for help "at their convenience...I would greatly appreciate" would probably get you a reflash (that you could, really, do yourself with Odin).

What data are you wanting to move to the new phone?

Upvote 0
So is it possible to unroot? ... as in:

root old phone
install Titanium
make an image

root new phone
install Titanium
restore image
unroot

I see there is now a "has this phone ever been rooted" detector.

I tried MyBackup. For me, all it was really good for was SMS, MMS, Call Log. The apps restored, but there is the risk of them not updating correctly if installed this way, plus, it was just as easy to install them remotely from the computer, with the additional bonus of not installing the ones you don't use anymore.

But neither way would restore the data for the apps. This is, for example, mail accounts, RSS feed settings, and other app configs. This is the part that really sucks up hours re-setting everything up, and it looks like Titanium can actually do this part.

I guess another bonus to rooting is maybe I can remove all the CRAPWARE that Verizon had dumped on the phone -- the 20 or so apps I would never use or install, that constantly bother me with update notices, and take up icon space on the screen, and storage space on the card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones