• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best way to be certain the entire Galaxy S5 is backed up ?

AppleUser

Android Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2011
How may one be sure that all software on the S5 is backed up? Can this be done with an application on the phone saving the data/software to a computer? Which App is used and is it put on the phone, the computer, or both?

If one erases/resets the phone to factory defaults, will the backup method be sufficient to restore everything?

Thanks.

Thank you, Iron. Very good. Which TWO do you recommend?

Do you use Google to back up? If so, which sections of the phone, and where on one's personalized Google page can one see the data which is being backed up?

The most complete backups are available to rooted users, with nandroid and Titanium backups. For non rooted users there are a selection of backup methods available, as described in #2.1 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. I always recommend using 2, or more, of the methods shown... just in case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Luckily for me, I am rooted

After making sure everything is sync'd to your Google account and copying any important files to your PC you can use Helium Pro, Samsung Kies/Smart Switch and SMS Backup and Restore. You should also take screenshots of your launcher layouts as even with Nova Launcher backup, things don't always go to plan. Game scores can be a bit dodgy in backup/restores. As I mention in the earlier link... belt and braces. Better to have too many backups... than not enough!

Reactions: KOLIO
Upvote 0
if the phone is not rooted, very little is backed up.
ask me how I know.

Contacts, SMS, the apps that were downloaded only... I never back up pictures... except to a personal PC separately.
all "real data" is lost. For Contacts, I found that sending your Contacts to a .vcf file/Printed Sheet of paper is invaluable.... you would be surprised at how much info is not included in backups.

you better export as much data from each app as you can separately.....
also, if you want the Home Screens to be retained, better use a good Launcher such as Nova Prime....
at least with Nova, I was able to export the Home Screens to my email.
Then when I added a Note 4 as my personal phone, instead of the S5, I just made sure all the apps were on the Note 4 and updated.... then I imported the HomeScreens from the Nova backup..... less than 15 seconds for Nova to make the Note 4 identical in appearance and function to the S5.

I'm a huge Nova Prime fan.

Upvote 0
Why hasn't an App been made which does a complete local backup ? The LG Motion had a nice app "BACKUP" which seemed to back up everything except notes.
I think some manufacturers do provide a complete backup and restore for their phones. I know Oppo does, because I've used it. Presumably the LG backup and restore only works for LG phones.

Just an app for backup and restore for all devices regardless of make and whatever apps are being used, may not be possible unless rooted. Google provides backup and restore for their stuff, and any apps that might use it. But so many devices and apps are doing their own things, especially Chinese stuff.

Whereas something like iPhone, Apple makes and controls the whole thing, including apps, so you use Apple's walled-garden backup, like iCloud or iTunes, or nothing at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mike: "Just an app for backup and restore for all devices regardless of make and whatever apps are being used, may not be possible unless rooted."

Okay, but why is rooting required for a complete back-up?

Because Google decided that all system files are to be protected from evil.
And no app can look at, or copy from, any folder that was not "created by that app"....

ergo, XYZ app is not allowed to even look at a folder that is owned by the System. not going to happen.

that is why Rooting is so popular. You can give everything wide open Permissions to do anything to anything.

but, that comes with a LOT of personal responsibility that you won't brick the phone.

Upvote 0
Because Google decided that all system files are to be protected from evil.
And no app can look at, or copy from, any folder that was not "created by that app"....

ergo, XYZ app is not allowed to even look at a folder that is owned by the System. not going to happen.

that is why Rooting is so popular. You can give everything wide open Permissions to do anything to anything.

but, that comes with a LOT of personal responsibility that you won't brick the phone.
What he said, OK.

For example, no app can backup the Samsung S-apps, only Samsung's own backup can do it, unless the device is rooted. Same with other pre-installed manufacturer and carrier apps and their data.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones