• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [BETA]Cyanogen!! Landed!!! :) Go get it![Updated 7/12/2011]

Are the rest of you sending a picture to yourself to test this? I just tried that a few minutes ago on build #6 using stock messaging app and it worked. Just flashed #8 and I'll try again.

Let me know if I'm testing it wrong.

No. I sent a pic from my gallery to a co-worker sitting across the room. It sent fine. I did not try and see if I could recieve a pic though.

Upvote 0
So I am yet to jump ship to Cyanogen in hopes of a bug free final build. I guess my question is, will there ever be a final build in which nightlies do not need to be flashed.

What exactly are they? Do you flash them just like you flash any other ROM? I guess I should look a little more into how to install Cyanogen first but I'm just curious.

Also, for those new to cyanogen like me, here are the nightlies:

http://download.cyanogenmod.com/?device=cdma_shadow

Upvote 0
Cyanogen has milestone releases just like any other ROM. There will be "final" releases that have undergone testing.

The nightly builds are incremental builds. There are lots of people contributing to the CM code base, and lots of different kinds of modifications - there might be mods to functionality in CM, or mods to the base device software, or whatever. So they do a nightly build that rolls up the day's changes into one installable package.

They should be considered "alpha" releases, not even beta releases, because they are almost completely untested. You do not have to install these, they are totally optional. Eventually, there will be a release candidate or a final release that you can install.

The reason I flash the nightly builds is because I like seeing the code development and bugs that get fixed a little at a time, it's interesting to me. But there's no need to.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
you know cm7 is nice but after the second time of giving it a shot, i must return to apex, or maybe liberty

cm7 is great but with the problems it has its just not worth flashing if you actually do depend on your phone (if the DX is your only one)

i have heard the mms problems havent tried yet
camera isnt working in the nightlies, only the fix from p3droid
landscape mode isnt working for me
sometimes landscape mode will stay on and not go away unless i reboot, or change the settings in the Cyanogenmod Settings
im experiencing major battery drain at %50 percent today, and with the normal use on apex id either be on 80% or 70
so i guess im SBFing when i get home to get my phone back :p hopefully real fix is in the works

Upvote 0
you know cm7 is nice but after the second time of giving it a shot, i must return to apex, or maybe liberty

cm7 is great but with the problems it has its just not worth flashing if you actually do depend on your phone (if the DX is your only one)

i have heard the mms problems havent tried yet
camera isnt working in the nightlies, only the fix from p3droid
landscape mode isnt working for me
sometimes landscape mode will stay on and not go away unless i reboot, or change the settings in the Cyanogenmod Settings
im experiencing major battery drain at %50 percent today, and with the normal use on apex id either be on 80% or 70
so i guess im SBFing when i get home to get my phone back :p hopefully real fix is in the works

Weird, only problem I have is the camcorder. Everything else is working nicely, including battery life.

You'll be back! :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones