• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big Red got some new towers? Update *228!

It is important to note that updating your PRL is not some magic fix for coverage. An updated PRL will only help you if there has been a change to the list that is specifically targeted to the systems operating in your area. Since system expansions and acquisitions are the only events that would trigger a change, it is highly unlikely that you will see any change in coverage or signal strength from any given new PRL. The recent ALLTEL acquisition and resulting system migrations are what is probably driving some of the improvements noted here.

Upvote 0
It is important to note that updating your PRL is not some magic fix for coverage. An updated PRL will only help you if there has been a change to the list that is specifically targeted to the systems operating in your area. Since system expansions and acquisitions are the only events that would trigger a change, it is highly unlikely that you will see any change in coverage or signal strength from any given new PRL. The recent ALLTEL acquisition and resulting system migrations are what is probably driving some of the improvements noted here.

but is it possible that coverage can get worse from an updated PRL?

Upvote 0
No. Well that is relative really. The prl will not affect your phone if you are in a Verizon only area since those towers automatically update on the phone. The prl only affects the towers in roaming or extended network areas it just so happens that with Verizon having acquired alltel and having a lot of new coverage with their towers the phones can get confused as to what towers to pick since they are technically not Verizon yet. Now if you are in an area and they messed up the prl then yes it could but they usually do not and if they do they update within 1-2 days!

Upvote 0
I read in here http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/48607-droids-3g-chip-piece-crap.html that Big Red has expanded and/or improved there coverage.

I get Very bad signal at work and by that I mean my signal jumps from 1 bar 3g to 1 bar 1x sometimes I get a big fat 0 signal.

After reading this I decided to bring the old *228 option 2 out of retirement and give it a shot.

I have had a solid 2 bars of 3g for about an hour now!! I haven't dropped to 1x once and it used to be if I moved my phone the wrong way it would go to drop to 1x or no signal!

For those who don't know how to do this open your dialer and press *228 then press 2.

If you live in or around the Oklahoma City area I highly recommend this!
HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - New PRL - February 26, 2010
lots of OK changes, that would explain your nice results

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones