• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Big screen on evo love it or hate it

The screen size is the main reason I bought the phone. When I first picked it up I was a little concerned it may be too big, but now it is just perfect. It really is the most comfortable phone to hold to my ear that I have ever had.

It totally skews your perception of other phones though. When my buddy brought his new iphone4 to work I was all... "Oh that's so cute!"

Upvote 0
I also bought the Evo mostly for the 4.3" screen, and I absolutely love it. My Touch Pro 2 had a 3.6" screen, and it was pretty badass for its time, but the 4.3" inch totally blows it away -- it's like going from a 42" HDTV to a 60" HDTV -- it is unmistakeably larger.

And I can type faster and more accurately on the wider stock Evo keyboard than the TP2 slider (and that was a great slider keyboard).

BTW, the Dolphin HD browser on this screen is just sick.

Upvote 0
I like the screen size, I don't have huge hands, but they are big enough to operate the phone one handed if necessary (I use two a lot, but I used two a lot on my iPod touch - just the way I prefer using it when browsing).

But honestly, I could go back to a smaller screen if the best phone in two years is a 3.5 incher. I still use the Touch as my PMP when driving, and while it feels strange at first, if the drive is more than 30 minutes, I get used to it by the time I get where I'm going. (Also, I hate iTunes, but I still think Apple has the best music player).

It would feel weird going smaller again, and if all else was equal, I'd prefer a big screen. Of course, if all else wasn't equal, I'd go small if necessary.

But not bigger, don't think I could go past the Evo in size. I think the Dell Streak is past the limit for me. Maybe for women with purses, or men who carry man-bags, but I don't think the Streak will work as a pocket phone.

Upvote 0
I love it. I don't think I could go back to anything smaller (maybe 4", but nothing below that.) It feels like the perfect size: not too big and definitely not too small.

I didn't realize how big it was until today when a coworker showed me his Hero, which I used to think had a really big screen. However, after playing with the Evo the Hero's screen seemed too small. In fact, I didn't even recognize it as the Hero at first because the screen seemed so small compared to the Evo. O_O

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones