• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bing NOT replaceable

So ... If this guy by-passed activation - and therefore wasn't online, how does he know the Google search widget is not downloadable? Are we assuming VZ told him that?

you don't need to be activated to log into the Market with your gmail account...at least not on my Droid, I'm using the Incredible, but keep the Droid's apps updated through market...and keep the Roms updated as well...just can't make calls.

Upvote 0
It is bad. Search something simple like "How big is the sun?" on Bing. Then search it and compare it to Google. Also click images on both for the same question, and compare. Post back here on your conclusions.

As far as what EliC is saying, he could be right. Verizon took away my option to have Google, or any other search provider as my default search, when I had my blackberry. Woke up, and (bam!) all that was there was, was Bing. You could still use Google by bookmarking it tho, but that was extra steps for no reason.

Unlike blackberry, Google is deeply integrated into Android. If Verizon broke Google integration, and replace it with Bing integration, then that would be worse then you think. That means even if you replace the widget with a Google one, (for example) it won't stop links in the browser from defaulting to Bing when you click on them. Another example would be Bing maps would open instead of Google maps. Another limitation would be Bing's voice search, which can't compare to Google's.

That search button on your phone would only open Bing search, A nightmare.

So just as a scenario, since this will be my first android phone if i get it, if you can remove the bing widget, replace it with the google one, but not associate google as the default for the physical button, are you still able to use all of the google voice search stuff on it or you can only do that if it can be set as default?

Worst case scenario? If Verizon broke Google's integration with the OS and replaced it with Bing, then Bing will be the only voice search, with no way to change the default.

(other then possible root)

Upvote 0
Doesn't that completely defeat the purpose of an Android phone in the first place? I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but Android IS a GOOGLE OS isn't it? So by breaking the link between Google and the OS, doesn't that skew the whole idea of the user experience? Hmmm...I don't see Apple allowing you to remove Safari, or Microsoft allowing you to remove IE.

Yes, yes...I know what people will say. "But you can just root it..." My answer is this: WHY should I have to? It's a google phone, so how the hell can you allow Verizon to remove Google functionality? That is completely asinine and I wouldn't be surprised if Google decided to piss on Verizon for that. Just my thoughts on the matter. :cool:

Upvote 0
Android is open source. Yes, its developed by google, but the price of on open source system is someone may change it and put bing in where google belongs.

On a very positive note, Samsung has previously released the source codes for all the SGS phones and will be for the Fascinate as well. The positive side of open source.

Upvote 0
Worst case scenario? If Verizon broke Google's integration with the OS and replaced it with Bing, then Bing will be the only voice search, with no way to change the default.

(other then possible root)

Maybe the default search cannot be changed but ....

Per the Fascinate User Guide that was leaked, on page 103, the guide advises that the Fascinate comes pre-loaded with a "Voice Search" application built in. The explanation of which is as follows:

Voice Search

Voice Search offers voice-activated Google searches.

1. From the Home screen, touch Applications ➔
Voice Search..
2. Voice Search uses your location to improve search results
and offer other services. Touch Agree to allow locationbased
searches, or Disagree to disallow.
3. At the Speak now prompt, speak your search criteria slowly
and clearly. Google searches for the information and
displays results.

So it appears that even if you can't map the Search button to Voice search for Google, you can do it with this app. Good news ..

Reactions: lonzom10 and EliC
Upvote 0
@DonS, you actually read through 100 pages of user guide? wow. :)

Good finding though. Thanks!

Whether I can or cannot map the hardware search key to Google Search is irrelevant to me. I can simply put Google as the default home page on the web browser and do the search from there. It is still a one-click launch. And if it is true that voice search is tied to Google Search, it is just icing on the cake. With or without it is not going to change my mind on getting the Fascinate.

Upvote 0
Maybe the default search cannot be changed but ....

Per the Fascinate User Guide that was leaked, on page 103, the guide advises that the Fascinate comes pre-loaded with a "Voice Search" application built in. The explanation of which is as follows:

Voice Search

Voice Search offers voice-activated Google searches.

1. From the Home screen, touch Applications ➔
Voice Search..
2. Voice Search uses your location to improve search results
and offer other services. Touch Agree to allow locationbased
searches, or Disagree to disallow.
3. At the Speak now prompt, speak your search criteria slowly
and clearly. Google searches for the information and
displays results.

So it appears that even if you can't map the Search button to Voice search for Google, you can do it with this app. Good news ..

Only had a few minutes with the phone, and tried this. There is a catch. When doing a voice search regardless if it is using Google's technology or not, the results only show up under Bing.

For example: You're on the Google home page, and decide to voice search for "Dogs". The browser will redirect to Bing search for the results.

So it appears to be using Google's voice technology to dictate what your saying to the phone, but instead of putting the words in Google, it redirects them into Bing search.

I hope you guys can understand what I'm saying.

Upvote 0
Only had a few minutes with the phone, and tried this. There is a catch. When doing a voice search regardless if it is using Google's technology or not, the results only show up under Bing.

For example: You're on the Google home page, and decide to voice search for "Dogs". The browser will redirect to Bing search for the results.

Thats what I was thinking would be the case. If Verizon and/or Samsung has integrated Bing into the OS then not even root will fix it. If you try to remove bing I bet it will brick the phone. The only way to get rid of bing will be custom roms. I hope the DEV community will be active with this device.

Upvote 0
Thats what I was thinking would be the case. If Verizon and/or Samsung has integrated Bing into the OS then not even root will fix it. If you try to remove bing I bet it will brick the phone. The only way to get rid of bing will be custom roms. I hope the DEV community will be active with this device.

I dont think removing bing will brick the phone i rooted phones before and removed google search and it didnt brick the phone.

Upvote 0
It's pretty upsetting to read that Bing basically has been shoved down our throats. I could understand if Bing came stock on the phone but you were allowed to remove and install Google instead. By completely reprogramming the OS to only use Bing, you are screwed out of having the option. I don't know how you can consider that "open source". Personally, I think it's BS. I still want to get this phone, especially since the Droid X is on a ridiculous back order. I just hate the fact that now I have to question buying this phone because of Verizon's greed and Microsoft's deep pockets. So much for open competition...

Upvote 0
I dont think removing bing will brick the phone i rooted phones before and removed google search and it didnt brick the phone.

I really hope your right but I smell some bs from Verizon on this device. This reminds me of the days before the smart phone revolution when Verizon would neuter all their devices so they had complete control.

Upvote 0
I'm honestly not surprised Verizon has finally done this. They have been doing this with their other phones for a little while now. They have a contract with Bing to be their search provider on mobile. Was just a matter of time til they screwed up Android with it too. I refuse to buy this phone solely because of Bing - just as I have done with their other Bing forced devices. I'm completely for user choice, but that's just it. This isn't USER choice, but a greed choice on Verizon's part. I'd be fine with them preinstalling their crap if they allowed the user to remove it as they wish... since after all I OWN the product and don't lease it from them.

Upvote 0
I'm honestly not surprised Verizon has finally done this. They have been doing this with their other phones for a little while now. They have a contract with Bing to be their search provider on mobile. Was just a matter of time til they screwed up Android with it too. I refuse to buy this phone solely because of Bing - just as I have done with their other Bing forced devices. I'm completely for user choice, but that's just it. This isn't USER choice, but a greed choice on Verizon's part. I'd be fine with them preinstalling their crap if they allowed the user to remove it as they wish... since after all I OWN the product and don't lease it from them.

What other verizon phones have bing on it???

Upvote 0
They did it to most blackberry devices. My storm was one. Had my options to choose from as my default search (Google, Yahoo, Wiki, etc...). Woke up last year and all there was was Bing. All other options were gone.

You could still use them going to the URL, but the convenience of just doing a search without having to jump through hoops was gone. That was what Microsuck was counting on. That you would get irrited just typing in the URL each time to use the search of your choice, and would instead start using Bing.

Upvote 0
The forced Bing is starting to seem like a real issue. I have a Dinc but would really like the bigger display. Started using Bing to see what its like and its not all that good. Pretty bad interface too. Kind of hard to read.

Would going with a 3rd party browser fix any of this (besides the soft key issue)? I mean can you dedicate the search from the browser to Google??

Upvote 0
After reading, Slashgear's review of the Fascinate and watching the video that showcases the Bing experience, I have no problem whatsoever with Bing being my default search function. It looks like it gets the job done perfectly fine.

Not slamming BING here ( I actually use Yahoo still....) But Slashgear.com seems to be sponsored by BING (based on the ads on the bottom of many pages.)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones