• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bizarre battery problems cropped up during romming

OK guys. Doc... You were right :). I had a bad battery. So weird. Went from perfectly fine to awful in less than 12 hours. I went to the only place around that had replacements in stock and the only thing they had was an aftermarket 1500 mAh battery. Stock is 1800 mAh. Same size except new one is EVER SO SLIGHTLY thinner. I asked a few people and they said it will work fine. I just wanted to get y'all's thoughts on the matter.

Do they have a return policy? I mean the key is to have it working, but I would order a red 2520 may extended slim, or for 35 bucks you can get two ace 2050 mah batteries plus charging gear for home and car from, and just use the 1500 mah as secondary or until you get a bigger mah one like the 2520. That's what I would do either order a 2520 now or when you can while using the working 1500 mah battery. Maybe when my ace battery comes if you pay shipping will send you one of my two stock batteries if still need. I live in Raleigh if you want to figure out cost.

Upvote 0
Alright I'm starting to get ticked off. Still doesnt seem like its right. In fact, I know it isn't. I just played a video that I had on my SD card, 1/3 screen brightness, charger connected. I lost a few percent!!! Usually if I do anything, as long as its plugged in, it would ALWAYS charge faster than it was consuming, meaning my percentage would increase. I'm so irritated at this point. Something has to be wrong somewhere.

I just flashed 3.0 from el29 after double wiping and its not right. How could I be having an issue like that on a freshly flashed ROM?

Upvote 0
Alright I'm starting to get ticked off. Still doesnt seem like its right. In fact, I know it isn't. I just played a video that I had on my SD card, 1/3 screen brightness, charger connected. I lost a few percent!!! Usually if I do anything, as long as its plugged in, it would ALWAYS charge faster than it was consuming, meaning my percentage would increase. I'm so irritated at this point. Something has to be wrong somewhere.

I just flashed 3.0 from el29 after double wiping and its not right. How could I be having an issue like that on a freshly flashed ROM?

First you need to charge the battery fully with out testing and do a total discharge, then from a full charge start testing. In my opinion it has nothing to do with the rom, I would still check your charger also:)

Upvote 0
I've been on the phone with my brother for the last hour and I had the screen off until he last 15 minutes. With screen off it got up to 83% then while still on the phone I forced the screen to stay on. Normally it would keep on charging but it instead dropped from 83% to 77%. Something is just off about this. We'll see. I'll turn off screen and get it up to 100% then discharge it and retest but I feel it still shouldn't be acting this way.

And I'm back on trusty 2.8

Upvote 0
I've been on the phone with my brother for the last hour and I had the screen off until he last 15 minutes. With screen off it got up to 83% then while still on the phone I forced the screen to stay on. Normally it would keep on charging but it instead dropped from 83% to 77%. Something is just off about this. We'll see. I'll turn off screen and get it up to 100% then discharge it and retest but I feel it still shouldn't be acting this way.

And I'm back on trusty 2.8

Do me a favor and lets diagnosis this before we start making unsubstantiated comments about someones rom and I'm basing that on, no one else is having this issue that your having, have you ran something like Android System Info to see were the discharge is coming from, have you changed chargers, could it be the after market battery, again it could be something you installed, uninstalled or modified, please do me a favor, before saying its the rom lets look at all aspects of what's going on, there's to many variable's involved here to even say that before we get more info.

Upvote 0
I didn't say I was back on 2.8 to down bilgerryans ROM, I simply stated that to inform everyone that I am on a ROM version that's been working great for me for weeks, so as to RULE OUT version 3.0 being the cause to my problems. Its my fault for not communicating that better. I'm sure its not the ROM because I am the only one having this issue and because its now acting funny on both versions, when it never did before.

Project X is still my jam. :)

Reactions: Titchener17
Upvote 0
I didn't say I was back on 2.8 to down bilgerryans ROM, I simply stated that to inform everyone that I am on a ROM version that's been working great for me for weeks, so as to RULE OUT version 3.0 being the cause to my problems. Its my fault for not communicating that better. I'm sure its not the ROM because I am the only one having this issue and because its now acting funny on both versions, when it never did before.

Project X is still my jam. :)

I don't care what version you use

Attachments

• 1375494932778.jpg
    1375494932778.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 59
Reactions: Doc
Upvote 0
Trust me I want to go to 3.0 but I think I'll have better luck isolating my problem on 2.8 where I have established myself for the time being. Thanks again bilgerryan. Much respect

My battery is at 99%. Gonna run battery calibration once it goes 100% and let it fully discharge. I'll charge it again to 100% then report back.

Thank you sir :)

Reactions: greg schmeg
Upvote 0
Every version of Project X is more than good to go. You are unequivocally having issues from something or things other than the rom man. I can tell you love the rom, just word goings from the mindset that you are having issues you need to solve and are troubleshooting from any point to consider other than the rom. I can show you battery screenshot from any version if you need more proof and j
have posted one maybe a few showing hours with may both mentioned versions. I understand your frustration and am certainly not a developer or in any way a creative source that has worked to make such a great running rom :project X, but as a noob that has tried other rooms, learned things, messed up, learned, am still learning, and now have confidence to help find your solution, I know that Project X is in no way shape or form the problem just to clarify with you as we tackle the issue to get things rolling right for you. With that in mind, let's start tackling this fresh understanding there are issues to solve. As Doc stated, there are many possibilities. I know you didn't intend to insult, but wording and mindset shouldn't seem like it's sounding like the badass rom that works without a hitch every version for my green ass is to blame. I don't know much, but I know we can figure the issues. Am happy to rap via phone to expedite, or will keep an eye on the posting to help resolve your battery issues. I would recommend following the op to a tee to reset, reset your pewter with the battery out prior to, not debloat initially, and maybe even use tools to double check your charger and new battery. Will send extra stock battery if you pay postage, and help troubleshoot. Pardon the uber long post yall.

Reactions: greg schmeg and Doc
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I see something here about using Android System Info.

Good app, I use it myself.

For this sort of problem - if you haven't snagged it already - Gsam Battery Monitor.

It's top notch and it's free and it's my go-to tool for all battery issues.

Discharging faster than charging can be any combination of -

• Phone unable to sleep properly
    • Caused by wakelocks or runaway services
    • Gsam lower left corner - it's a Hoover, shows what's sucking what.
    • Next screen, the title at the top - it's a menu - snoop around some.
  • Rouge processes that have gone haywire
  • Wifi signal issues
    • While I'm at it, if you're on wifi while this is going down, snag Wifi Analyzer, also free, and make sure that you're not on a shared channel with the same default router name as your neighbor.
    • Network stack changes from rom to rom - yeah - that can expose a problem elsewhere and fool you as to the cause.
    • Fix those at the router.
  • 3G signal issues
    • Gsam has a nice graph, works in landscape.
    • How's that 3G signal - nice and steady, medium or better, or jumping up and down?
    • When your screen is off, is it showing the device asleep?

There's a few things to get you started, I think they'll serve you well.

Unless - it's a hardware problem.

In which case, it'll still serve you well, because if it's nothing listed above showing up, then something wonky is happening with hardware or rom/hardware combo.

That happens. Just is what it is.

Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0
I see something here about using Android System Info.

Good app, I use it myself.

For this sort of problem - if you haven't snagged it already - Gsam Battery Monitor.

It's top notch and it's free and it's my go-to tool for all battery issues.

Discharging faster than charging can be any combination of -

• Phone unable to sleep properly
    • Caused by wakelocks or runaway services
    • Gsam lower left corner - it's a Hoover, shows what's sucking what.
    • Next screen, the title at the top - it's a menu - snoop around some.
  • Rouge processes that have gone haywire
  • Wifi signal issues
    • While I'm at it, if you're on wifi while this is going down, snag Wifi Analyzer, also free, and make sure that you're not on a shared channel with the same default router name as your neighbor.
    • Network stack changes from rom to rom - yeah - that can expose a problem elsewhere and fool you as to the cause.
    • Fix those at the router.
  • 3G signal issues
    • Gsam has a nice graph, works in landscape.
    • How's that 3G signal - nice and steady, medium or better, or jumping up and down?
    • When your screen is off, is it showing the device asleep?

There's a few things to get you started, I think they'll serve you well.

Unless - it's a hardware problem.

In which case, it'll still serve you well, because if it's nothing listed above showing up, then something wonky is happening with hardware or rom/hardware combo.

That happens. Just is what it is.

Hope this helps! :)

Great info, thank you sir......:)

Upvote 0
Indeed. Thank you sir. Great info. That took some time to write up. I'm at 85% now on a discharge. I've been playing a movie with the screen brightness on high. Its actually discharging seemingly well. I will take your apk recommendations and do some testing with them. I'll report back upon testing and full discharge and recharge. Thanks again everybody.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones