• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Black notification bar turns gray

When I choose a black wallpaper for my Galaxy S7 phone, the upper notification bar turns dark gray on Homescreen.

When I am at Lockscreen the gray shade disappears.
When I take a screenshot of the Homescreen I can also see the gray color shade in the actual screenshot, so it has to be a software problem. When I look at the phone screenshot on my PC I can also see the gray shade. Due to some limitations of the PC monitor it's hard to see without black background.

I do have the latest firmware.
I did factory reset several of times but the problem persists. However it may not show up directly. Sometimes it takes a few hours before the gray shade appears. When I set a new wallpaper the gray shade disappears, but appears again after opening and closing any app.

The gray color shades appears after factory reset even when I have no additional apps installed and I did not log in to any Google or Samsung account.

Does this happen on all Galaxy s7 phones?
Is it a common software problem?

Anyone with a S7 that can quickly check if it happens on yours?

Best regards
Tim

Attachments

• weirdstatusbar.jpg
    weirdstatusbar.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 189
When I choose a black wallpaper for my Galaxy S7 phone, the upper notification bar turns dark gray on Homescreen.

When I am at Lockscreen the gray shade disappears.
When I take a screenshot of the Homescreen I can also see the gray color shade in the actual screenshot, so it has to be a software problem. When I look at the phone screenshot on my PC I can also see the gray shade. Due to some limitations of the PC monitor it's hard to see without black background.

I do have the latest firmware.
I did factory reset several of times but the problem persists. However it may not show up directly. Sometimes it takes a few hours before the gray shade appears. When I set a new wallpaper the gray shade disappears, but appears again after opening and closing any app.

The gray color shades appears after factory reset even when I have no additional apps installed and I did not log in to any Google or Samsung account.

Does this happen on all Galaxy s7 phones?
Is it a common software problem?

Anyone with a S7 that can quickly check if it happens on yours?

Best regards
Tim

Do you have Power Saving enabled? When it comes on for me at the set percentage (or when I have it enabled Instantly), my upper notification bar is gray.

Upvote 0
Do you have Power Saving enabled? When it comes on for me at the set percentage (or when I have it enabled Instantly), my upper notification bar is gray.

Greetings. Thanks for your reply.

Power Saving indeed makes the actual notification bar gray, but that gray is much lighter plus my dark gray shade stretches down even below the light gray power save notification bar. So then the colors are like "black, dark gray, lightgray notification bar".

The cause of this dark gray shade is just impossible to figure out. It starts at random even right after a factory reset, and it may instantly become more narrow if I run an app that is not full screen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones