• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Blackout ICS Incredible v3.2.0 - ICS 4.0.4, Sense 3.6

357rbwj.png

I think this is one of the more promising Sense ROM's available for the Desire HD so I decided to start a thread to consolidated questions, tips and tricks regarding this ROM.

What is Blackout ICS Incredible v3.2?

Blackout ICS Incredible v.3.2.0 is a Android 4.0.4 ROM with a Sense 3.6 interface ported from the official HTC ROM for the Incredible S. You can download the ROM from this link.

Does is it work?

The ROM is good enough to be a daily driver but there are a couple of issues:

1. Blackout Tweaks

- Hiding status bar icons may result in not being able to unhide them.
- Haptic feedback settings don't stick on reboot.

2. Chrome browser drawing issues - Really a Chrome issue which I have observed several ROM's. The only ICS ROM which runs the Chrome browser perfectly is aospX.

How to get a problem free install

1. Do a full wipe

2. Flash Blackout 3.2.0 ROM

3. In the AROMA installer allow AROMA to do a full wipe, even if you already did a full wipe with 4Ext or CWM

4. Flash the Blackout-v32-IMERosieBT-Patch.zip

5. Flash p2pjack v0.2 kernel

6. Flash the WiFi Patch by gummbah30.

7. Reboot

Issue which are device specific.

Proximity calibration. I need to calibrate the Proximity Sensor on my phone. I use Proximity Recalibration v. 1.10.

Other issues

If you feel the UI lags selecting Supersmooth or Ultrasmooth in Blackout Tweaks makes if faster.

Old issues - FIXED

a) FM Radio - Fixed in v3.1.

b) Group SMS bug - Fixed in v3.1.

c) Long SMS - Fixed in v3.1.

d) MMS - - Fixed in v3.1.

e) Blackout shortcut on the the Quick settings menu does not work - Fixed in v3.1.

f) Lag Creep - Fixed in v3.1 by removing Andred_OC.

g) Google Maps Compass - Fixed by updating Google Maps.

h) Occasional 3G Signal drop - Fixed in v3.1.

i) "Metallic" voice during calls - Fixed in v3.1.1 / 3.2.0

j) VOIP not working (static) - Fixed in v3.1.1

k). Headset does not work for voice calls - Fixed in v3.1.1

j). GPS issues with some devices - Fixed with 3.1.1

k) Turning on Bluetooth keeps CPU locked at 100% speed when Bluetooth is turn off WHILE THE SCREEN IS AWAKE - Fixed by patch.

l) Default keyboard Number Pad will force close on launch - Fixed by patch.

m) Rosie is overly sensitive on some devices - Fixed by patch.

n) Headset buttons don't work - Fixed by p2pjacks kernel

o) WiFi Hotspot - Fixed by gummbah30's patch.

One fix.

7. Compass - Oh yes, almost forgot. No compass in Google Maps. This is a google maps error and to my knowledge an update has been provided by google check the playstore

In bold is the response of csstayton, one of the developers.

This one is strange. With the new install, the Playstore ask me to make a few updates, which I did. Google Maps was not one of them.

Search for Google Maps using the Playstore app and could not find it. So I searched for it in my laptops web browser. Found the Google Play page and it reported "Installed". I clicked install anyway, and it proceeded. Normally if an app is installed you cannot install it to the same device again.

Problem fixed.

Upvote 0
7. UI lag - I use five large widgets (Clock - Next Appointment -Agenda - Calendar - Task (not a Sense widget) - HTC Twitter. With all these widgets there is some lag. The ROM has Rosie options in the Blackout Tweaks Apps. Selecting Supersmooth or Ultrasmooth corrects this. I think I know the cause. See post 6 below.

8. Lag Creep . I don't know how else to describe this. After a day or more of use without rebooting, you suddenly get lag. Where? Randomly everywhere. Lock screen, App Drawer or even launching apps. Touchscreen can exhibit delayed response to input. It comes and goes and I cannot connect it to remaining available RAM. I think I know the cause. See post 6 below.

I am my eight day on this ROM. Last night I started from a fresh install, restoring a Nandroid backup i made after the original install. Basically, default less the packaged apps I uninstalled plus Titanium Back-up.

I have steered clear of the OC Deamon this time. So far after one heavy day of use at work, no signs of lag anywhere. I did enable Ultrasmooth rosie, but this time it was a choice. Normal was fine too. Of course Ultrasmooth rosie.

Several guys at XDA are recommending instead of using the Ander_OC, if you want to OC this ROM, use Set CPU instead.

Reactions: kunal_buddha
Upvote 0
On another matter, I learned today that my carrier is officially launching its LTE service this weekend and upgraded its towers in my area middle last week.

This could have some impact on two issues I noted:

• 3G signal going off for short periods of time than going on again.
  • GTalk does not seem to realize the connection was lost, and requires a quick toggle of the Mobile Network setting to reconnect.
I decided to revert to my old ROM (ARHD 6.3.3) to see if this is the result of a RIL/Radio mismatch or local network changes. My old ROM has RIL's perfectly matched to my Radio. Will observe for a day or two.

Upvote 0
Okay, so I am back on Android 2.3.5. Never noticed the 3G signal dropping intermittently before but it happens on ARHD too, but less frequently. But GTalk logs back on automatically, so it was never an issue.

I guess I will stick with ARHD for a bit until the next update on the Blackout ROM. If it does not come by the weekend (another long 3 day weekend), well I just downloaded the latest CM 7.2 nightly :)

Upvote 0
The Dev's are uploading 3.1 as I post this :D

But here is the new changelog:

v3.1
~*~FUll WIPE REQUIRED~*~
Back to stock look. Skin will be reworked
New kernel Blackout BeastMode v1.5
Added new device (HTC MyTouch 4G)
Removed andrev_oc and related files due to causing lag issues.
Removed duplicate entries from build.prop
Correct Device Branding
Added Bliss Mod to Tweaks
Even more Tweaks added!
Included Beats audio components for Desire HD
Updated frameworks to include new APN's
Added Battery Percent
Fixed FM Radio (Fully Functional)
Fixed Weather Sounds FC
Fixed APN's for Virgin Mobile
Fixed issue with camera and flash
Fixed issue with video recording locking up and rebooting
Fixed SMS 160 char issues
Fixed MMS send recieve issues
Fixed Data signal drop while recieving MMS
Fixed BT Hogging CPU after shutdown

Not working (its a short list :) )

Hot Spot WIP
Arrowless Keyboard in Landscape is WIP
Front Facing Cam on myTouch WIP

Upvote 0
This discussion is on XDA, but opted to repost here. I think this is the issue that caused so many problems with v.3.0.0. Posted for info.

OC Daemon is script based and I prefer this than using apps to handle cpu speeds and governors. Lag time is less on wake up on OC Daemon.

If you are running separate sleep (conservative) and wake (ondemand) profiles this would be correct. It is more efficient than running the governor set to ondemand with a sleep profile.

This is the setting you find on the first tab of the OC Daemon controller, and what virtuous and andrev_oc are designed for.

If you run something like smartassv2 or interactive, which have their own built in sleep settings, you run this from the second tab in the OC Daemon. Sleep and wake profiles are irrelevant. Please note, that this area is for testing. If you want to run these governors instead, it is recommended you disable the OC daemon.

Why it's not recommended to use SmartAss with new O/C Daemon? Because SmartAss has included profiles switching (sleep / awake) while new O/C Daemon is already doing the same - changing CPU min/max frequency when device is going to sleep or when it's waking. So new O/C Daemon is in conflict with SmartAss gov but giving you similar effect, just much faster.

Source 1

Smartass and Smoothass have two real benefits - a built-in sleep/wake governor, and less aggressive CPU scaling further up the frequency table during normal phone use. The second one only really comes into effect if you have Smooth/Smartass as your wake governor. Smartass really shone when we didn't have daemons to control frequencies, and its built-in sleep/wake detection made a big difference to battery life by keeping the CPU throttled low when the screen was off. Now it seems a bit redundant if you're using a daemon to control the CPU when the screen is off.

But if you use the Daemon and Smooth/Smartass as your sleep governor, when your phone wakes two things happen. The Smooth/Smartass governor notices that the phone is awake, increases the maximum frequency the kernel can go up to, and begins to ramp up. But at the same time it does that, the daemon switches to a completely different governor (e.g. Ondemand) and also sets a higher max freq, so that change is wasted. It's possible you might lose CPU cycles as Smooth/Smartass detects the wake state just as the daemon changes governor, although I imagine that would be slight.

Source 2

If you are planning to use smartassv2 or interactive, you are better off using something else.

Im running 3.1 Beta 2 actually. Not the final release. Opted not to flash the whole package because im lazy with all the full wipe, sync, restore etc.
Only difference anyway is some added tweaks as per dev. :)

The one which works best for a DHD is beta 3.3.

To make sure the you installed it correctly browse system/etc/andrev_oc

So, what governor do you plan to use :thinking:

Upvote 0
Hi,

Just installed Blackout ICS 3.1 last night and it’s a great improvement on 3.0, keyboard is better and the lag is almost certainly gone… just a couple of issues:

• WiFi Hotspot & Poor Battery Life [which everyone is already aware of]
• I can’t get the voice-to-text feature to work in text messaging, previously I’d tap the mic icon on the keyboard and start speaking, but now nothing happens… any advice?

Only 12-hours in so will post more finding later

Thanks
Jay

Reactions: ral
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones