• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Tried Flashing Blackout ICS ROM- Now in big trouble

Sorry to intrude guys but this is my first post so please be kind.

Since this happened i have searched these forums and now im more confused than ever so i am hoping someone can help me.

I have never done anything like this before so took the time to read up.

i unlocked the bootloader with HTCDEV, one i had done that i followed these instructions

Flashing roms with an unlocked bootloader
Unlock your bootloader and flash a custom recovery (CWM or 4ext)
Download the rom zip file you are willing to flash to your PC.
Extract the the boot.img from inside the zip file (do not extract the whole rom)
Put the zip file in your sdcard.
Boot into recovery and do a full wipe (wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition, format system)
Flash rom (install zip from sdcard)
Reboot into bootloader again and plug the phone to the PC.
You need to be in fastboot usb (if you see HBOOT USB PLUG in the phone, just press power to toggle)
Open a cmd/terminal and navigate to where the boot.img file is located.
Type: fastboot flash boot boot.img
Reboot and now you should be enjoying your custom rom

the install of Blackout ICS ROM seemed to go ok, once i had flashed the boot.img in the last step i rebooted and now once past the HTC screen loads of lines appear on the screen which gradually fade and then it just reboots to Clockwork recovery.

I have tried to recover using the back up that was made and this makes no difference.

My phone isnt rooted and as i say im more confused as to my next step than ever

Sorry for the delay, got called away.

Best to start at the basics, hope that's ok, so here goes.

First question so we're on the same page - did you get your rom from the link in this thread and follow instructions from here -

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-all-things-root/604780-blackout-ics-incredible-v3-2-0-ics-4-0-4-sense-3-6-a.html

If someplace else, no problem, please drop me a link.

Did you wipe from within the Aroma installer (as recommended)?

Did you check the MD5 sum on your sd card - that's helpful to avoid bad flashes because it can help check for file corruption - garbage in, garbage out you know.

From the MikMik, here's the md5 sum - d7b13b44b843c36699c6a52790b8d76f

Wrong, as of today, it's 52fd4f08a08ede50842fb379045e4249

There are lots of ways to check that - if you're not used to that, because you're not booting, closest way is to check on your PC.

If you're in Windows, we have an MD5 utility packaged into our mini-SDK -

http://androidforums.com/faqs/443072-adb-guide-updated-2013-05-21-a.html#post5389081

If you're on a Mac, it's built-in, just say md5 rom-name.zip in a terminal window. Same deal for Linux, but the command is md5sum rom-name.zip

Let's start there.

If you've already followed the instruction in the link I mentioned, md5 checked out - go ahead and just redo the rom installation.

It's ok that you're not rooted yet.

Process -

1. Unlock bootloader (check)

2. Install custom recovery (check)

3. Either/or - install superuser on your stock rom - or - install a rom already rooted (like Blackout).

~~~~~~~

The fact that you could not restore the backup is a little frustrating, I'm sure.

My guess is that a) either CWM had a bad flash and that needs re-installing (possible but not common), b) the boot image is corrupted from the bad flash and extra steps are needed to make a restoration work (most likely), or c) your sd card is bad (possible but not common).

Let's start there. :)

And remember - frustration is natural at this point - but you're odds of being ok increase by about a bazillion percent if you don't panic. (Bazillion percent is an actual number. ;))

Upvote 0
Did you wipe from within the Aroma installer (as recommended)?not sure but did see Aroma on the screen during installation

Did you check the MD5 sum on your sd card - that's helpful to avoid bad flashes because it can help check for file corruption - garbage in, garbage out you know.again i didnt physically do it if it was done it was automatically

From the MikMik, here's the md5 sum - d7b13b44b843c36699c6a52790b8d76f

There are lots of ways to check that - if you're not used to that, because you're not booting, closest way is to check on your PC.

If you're in Windows, we have an MD5 utility packaged into our mini-SDK -

ADB Guide (updated 2013/05/21)

ok here im lost just looked at the guide, does the SD need to be in the phone or as i have it now in card reader....not quite sure how to get it to check the md5 sum

Upvote 0
Ok, got you.

It's great that you have a card reader - perfect.

Unzip our mini-SDK, c:\sdk-tools is fine for a location.

Navigate to where the rom zip file is on the card reader using Explorer.

If you have Windows Vista or later, right-click on the directory icon in Explorer while holding the Shift key, and then click on the "Open command window here" context menu option.

Inside the command (DOS) window, say -

c:\sdk-tools\md5sums Blackout_ICS_Incredible_v4.0.zip

Compare what it says to the value I copied over.

Assuming that you're following our instructions for the rom installation, please do that the patch zip, the kernel and the wifi zip, if md5 sums are provided.

Checking those is not automatic.

Their purpose is to let you see if you got a good download.

Upvote 0
Bad flashes happen - nobody's fault, they've hit me from time to time.

I'd recommend following our steps as laid out -

http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-incredible-v3-2-0-ics-4-0-4-sense-3-6-a.html

And for each package you're going to install in those instructions - download them first using your card reader and double-check the MD5 sum for each one.

Then when all the packages are where you want them, sd card to phone, power up, and repeat the process.

(If we had magic vision we'd know which one thing to change to get it working - but it's just faster and safer to go for the do-over.)

~~~~~~

Once upon a time, flashing a rom meant that CWM would just follow preset instructions inside the zip file on what to do.

Now - with Aroma - there's the opportunity to have Aroma act as an installation wizard.

The dev here says for his stuff to work right, you have to use the option when presented by the Aroma installer to do a full wipe.

I'm running a rom with the same exact installation deal, so I can promise that's an important step.

I'll be around, keep me posted, I'll help wherever I can.

Upvote 0
Well tried wipe and reinstalling both ROM and boot.img didnt work....tried different Rom and now it just goes from the htc screen to black screen, its backlit so the phone is powered.

It seems also the recovery back ups I made at the beginning of all of this are gone...not sure how or why im begining to think ive killed the phone

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Common practice is after - and I assume you're in fastboot mode for the boot flash or you'd be getting an error on that, and you said in the OP you were doing that right.

Ok - at this point, I'd be guessing that there's some firmware incompatibility, and maybe even suggest an RUU or something.

But - the way I've been going today, please don't jump right to that.

Instead, please go to your boot screen and post back your bootloader version and radio f/w numbers.

I've put out yet another call, hopefully to the right guy this time, and it seems reasonable that they'd need that info to advise further.

Also - which custom recovery are you using and have you tried re-flashing that?

Don't give up - despite my inability to really help, I'm not hearing anything in the symptoms to suggest to me that your phone's a goner.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones