• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bloatware disappeared! (yay?)

I've had my HTC MyTouch 4G Slide since last summer, when my low-end Optimus T took a swim in the washing machine. I haven't bothered rooting it, because it has enough speed and RAM to keep the bloatware from being a burden. (The Optimus T, by comparison, barely held up with just the bloatware, so rooting it was required for basic functionality.)

The biggest annoyance is the bloatware cluttering up the Available Updates screen in Google Play. Obviously, I don't update the bloatware (for newcomers: installing an update of a system app doesn't actually update the version in ROM; it installs the entire update in RAM, using up your space). So I've had seven apps always in limbo, waiting for an update.

Today, I have six.

I don't know where the other one went. And since I never used it, I can't remember what it was. Here are the ones that are left:

"Updates"
T-Mobile Device Carbon (Zipwhip)
(missing app was in this category)

"Manual updates" (update involves a permissions change)
Music Hub (T-Mobile USA)
Slacker Radio (Slacker, Inc.)
T-Mobile My Account (T-Mobile USA)
T-Mobile Video Chat by Qik (Skype Software SARL)
TeleNav GPS Navigator for TMO (TeleNav Inc.)

I'm not complaining. I'm happy to see the bloatware gone, and I'd love for the rest of it to follow - including the ones that aren't cluttering up the "Updates" section, like "Group and Cloud Text" (Zipwhip).

But I'm curious. Did a system update get rid of the bloatware? (that's my guess) If I harass T-Mobile enough, will they get rid of the rest? (probably not) What would have happened if I'd been rooted, and had gotten rid of it manually? (hopefully nothing)

Here's the info from Settings/About phone/Software information:

Android Version: 2.3.4
HTC Sense version: 3.0
Software number: 1.63.531.2 710RD

While I was there, I hit the "HTC Software Updates" function, and it says I'm up to date. I do have it set for automatic updates, but I haven't been asked to do one in a while. But would it have asked before *removing* something useless?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones