1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Blocking numbers from calling/texting?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by omgu8myrice, Feb 1, 2011.

1. omgu8myrice

omgu8myrice Member

So, long story short.. I have an ex gf who is pissed off at me since I started dating someone else. Acting like a child, she put my # up on craigs list acting like I was interested in men and wanting to meet up for sex (I'll admit, it is kind of funny, just not when it's happening to you).

So now I have like ~10 guys who call me several times a day, or text me (sometimes pictures.. wtf) and it's driving me insane. I thought they'd stop after a while, but it's going on like 3 weeks now and it's still a daily occurrence. Is there any way I can block the number so I don't receive their calls/texts? I'd rather avoid having to go to Verizon and explaining the situation lol.

Advertisement

2. mdram

mdram Android Enthusiast

change your vm messge to one that tells them youve changed your number and give them her fathers

3. omgu8myrice

omgu8myrice Member

Haha, that's clever. Unfortunately I'm in the process of applying to medical schools, and I'm still waiting to hear back from like 6 schools.. so I would be mighty upset if they called and got routed to someone else :p

4. mdram

mdram Android Enthusiast

ok then, maybe an app similar to youmail, or google voice?

5. stevonyc34

stevonyc34 Member

get an app in the market called SPC - super private conversation

6. fstbusa

fstbusa Member

I use an app called blacklist from the market. Its free and does both calls and sms. I have it set to block all sms from unknown numbers not in my contact list. Works great.

7. djb28

djb28 Android Enthusiast

She has a number too. Craigs list isnt just for men! lol

8. topogigio22

topogigio22 Newbie

I use an app called Mr. Number. Free in the market. Also blocks unknown numbers from phone or text and any numbers you list. For phone it answers and hangs up on blocked numbers so they can't access your voicemail. Good for telemarketers too...

calendargirl likes this.
  9. phbair

phbair Lurker

So, I gather that there is no way to do this utilizing just the Android smartphone OS without a third-party app?:thinking:

10. sunflowernut

sunflowernut Newbie

Tell me if I'm wrong but can't you just log onto verizonwireless.com and at the main screen under "Plan" it says "Block Calls & Messages". It looks like you can block only 5 numbers though.

11. Speed_419

Speed_419 Newbie

It sounds like you need a Google Voice number... Gives you all kinds of control!..

12. greenmunky

greenmunky Android Enthusiast

You do in fact need a third party app... but then again isn't that what Android is for? I use CallFilter for calls, the paid version will do SMS as well but I use Handcent which will blacklist SMS for free, just do a hard press on the annoying text and there will bed an option to blacklist. Pretty useful and both are free.

13. phbair

phbair Lurker

Installed Handcent, so far so good. Thanks!