• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth codec

I would like to use AAC by default to stream audio from my device (Android 10) to a specific headset. I know how to change the codec used and can switch to AAC when connected (from developer options), but when disconnecting and reconnecting the headset, the connection default to aptX. Is there a way to make the change persistent?

Usually Bluetooth will automatically select the best available codec that the Android device and the headphones, headsets, speakers etc. support. Isn't aptX supposed to have better SQ and a lower latency than AAC, and that's why it's the default. With the lowest common denominator codec for any BT audio devices been SBC.

Depending on the particular headset you've got, it may have a supporting app from the manufacturer that allows you to select a default codec to use, e.g. the Sony BT headphones I use, it can select either LDAC or AAC as the persistent default from the Sony app.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You have a good point there but the fact is that I am almost always streaming from Spotify so that the original files are either ACC or OGG. I would prefer to avoid transcoding (even to a good format such as AptX) since it always impart an additional loss and requires additional processing. I will check with the manufacturer for the kind of application you mention. My headphones are Audio Technica ATH-M50X. Thanks!

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
You have a good point there but the fact is that I am almost always streaming from Spotify so that the original files are either ACC or OGG. I would prefer to avoid transcoding (even to a good format such as AptX) since it always impart an additional loss and requires additional processing. I will check with the manufacturer for the kind of application you mention. My headphones are Audio Technica ATH-M50X. Thanks!

This should do what you require.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=jp.co.audiotechnica.connect
Allows you to change the Bluetooth codec according to the sound quality or connection status

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones