• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth primer?

shakushinnen

May 22, 2017
Hi all,
I'm loathe to admit it, but I have very little idea as regards to how Bluetooth might be useful to me,
especially wrt my cell phone (Rebel 4, with no phone plan), which I mainly use for photos and light surfing.
If anyone would be kind enough to provide me with a basic primer, I would appreciate it; and if I were to
get one of these devices what would I be looking for?
Thanks,
.... john

Wireless headphones is probably the most popular use

I also use Bluethooth in my car for listening to Podcast, to control my trailer brakes when I'm towing my travel trailer and to link my phone to my laptop with KDE connect

Also the Bluetooth signal goes about 30ft (9 meters)

Upvote 0
Well BT is a useful connection tool. Bluetooth is a short-range wireless technology standard that is used for exchanging data between fixed and mobile devices over short distances. I use BT to stream tunes to wireless earbuds and to keep a line of communication between my phone and smartwatch. It's very handy in some situations but far from necessary. If you've not felt the need of BT communication.. no biggie. It costs nothing if you should decide to use the tech.

Upvote 0
Bluetooth is used for short-range communications between devices. The things I use it for are :

* wireless headphones
* sending small numbers of files or images between devices
* streaming audio from my phone to a better speaker and/or mic (kitchen radio, portable conference speaker)
* connecting to a wrist-worn fitness device
* controlling the lights on my aquarium
* using my phone as a remote trigger for my proper camera

The big advantage over WiFi is that many of these devices don't have WiFi connections, or even if they do they don't support these functions over WiFi.

WiFi and Bluetooth are intended for different things. WiFi is for high bandwidth transfers, typically connecting to the internet rather than directly device-to-device (though my phone and camera can use a direct WiFi connection for some tasks, e.g. part of the camera firmware update process). Bluetooth is for device-to-device connections, generally has shorter range, and uses a lot less power, but doesn't handle the speed of data transfer that WiFi can.

Upvote 0
Bluetooth is used for short-range communications between devices. The things I use it for are :

* wireless headphones
* sending small numbers of files or images between devices
* streaming audio from my phone to a better speaker and/or mic (kitchen radio, portable conference speaker)
* connecting to a wrist-worn fitness device
* controlling the lights on my aquarium
* using my phone as a remote trigger for my proper camera

The big advantage over WiFi is that many of these devices don't have WiFi connections, or even if they do they don't support these functions over WiFi.

WiFi and Bluetooth are intended for different things. WiFi is for high bandwidth transfers, typically connecting to the internet rather than directly device-to-device (though I my phone and camera can use a direct WiFi connection for some tasks). Bluetooth is for device-to-device connections, generally has shorter range, and uses a lot less power, but doesn't handle the speed of data transfer that WiFi can.
Ah ..... OK ....... got it.
Thank you all.
..... john

Reactions: olbriar and AugieTN
Upvote 0
.....* controlling the lights on my aquarium.....

That has to be the most unique use of Bluetooth I have ever heard of. I tip my hat to ya! (y)

I'm sure there are weirder ones out there (I'll bet people program some really specific things on Raspberry Pi's). But yeah, the controller of my aquarium lights has a bluetooth module so I use an app on my phone to set the timer.
so it depends on the lights. my reef lights require more control and needs a wifi connection to my network if i want to tweak my light output and when to turn them on and off. i also have my wave pumps as well as my sump pump all connected to my phone via wifi.....so it depends on the equipment.

for me, i use bluetooth mainly for my jbl speakers, my samsung buds, and my gear watch 4. i also just bought a body scale that can measure my weight and determine my body fat. it is controlled and saves my data on my phone. it also needs bluetooth to connect to my phone.

Last edited:
so it depends on the lights. my reef lights require more control and needs a wifi connection to my network if i want to tweak my light output and when to turn them on and off. i also have my wave pumps as well as my sump pump all connected to my phone via wifi.....so it depends on the equipment.

for me, i use bluetooth mainly for my jbl speakers, my samsung buds, and my gear watch 4. i also just bought a body scale that can measure my weight and determine my body fat. it is controlled and saves my data on my phone. it also needs bluetooth to connect to my phone.

Reef lights, aquarium? Where are the pictures:giggle:?
...... john

Reactions: AugieTN and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Reef lights, aquarium? Where are the pictures:giggle:?
...... john
this thread talks about my 180 gal freshwater tank and towards the end it talks about my reef tank setup.

and this one talks about my pico reef tank:

Reactions: AugieTN

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones