• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Bluetooth Printing from your Android / Droid device

There HAS to be a huge market for people that want to be able to print DIRECTLY from their phones via USB or BT!!
I am one of those people who wants to be able to print work orders, emails or invoices from my van. It blows my mind that they are not making Android drivers for printers yet.
I just posted my little rant in hopes to keep the thread alive :)

Upvote 0
There HAS to be a huge market for people that want to be able to print DIRECTLY from their phones via USB or BT!!
I am one of those people who wants to be able to print work orders, emails or invoices from my van. It blows my mind that they are not making Android drivers for printers yet.
I just posted my little rant in hopes to keep the thread alive :)
See the responses above. When this thread started there were zero options for printing directly from an Android device. Since then, the app Printershare has added functionality to print to a bluetooth printer, and now I'm more than happy with how it works.

Check it out in the Market here: http://goo.gl/w6WuY

It's not free, but to have this functionality seems worth it to me.

Upvote 0
Guys the problem is not so much as printing via Bluetooth or printing via USB. There are several problems that I’ve run into. One problem is being able to extract data from the various document types take email for example. There are a number of email clients that are used on Android devices and every one of them uses different formatting and APIs, many of which are either closed or lack the capability to share document data with other applications. Gmail has this limitation and so does others. Or the information is not easy to find.

As for printing word docs, pdf docs, and other docs, in order to do so, the developer would need APIs for accessing these types of doc which again is not readily available.

As for USB printing, a printer that acts as the host is required when connecting via USB to Android phone and not many of these USB host printers are available because most USB printers are designed to work with PCs or Macs which by default is the host.

There is not much I can do about this printing issue. If someone can send me the extracted data I can definitely get it printed on any Bluetooth printer.

If someone is working on an application and needs a Bluetooth printer library I can help there as well.

Upvote 0
We own a trucking company and have been looking for over a year for an app or scanner/printer that is capable of not only printing from the phone but also will send the scans that our drivers do to their phones to make emailing the paperwork easier. We have tried several of the apps on the Market. Some work partially but none do exactly what we want. Looked into custom programming and was informed that it would cost as much as $100,000.00 or more to get what we want. We decided that we would just continue to use the scanner and laptop method that has worked very well for us for quite a while. If anybody has anything that can do what we need. We would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

I've done contract work for a 1/10 of that price. Send me a pm if you are still looking for developers :)

Upvote 0
We own a trucking company and have been looking for over a year for an app or scanner/printer that is capable of not only printing from the phone but also will send the scans that our drivers do to their phones to make emailing the paperwork easier. We have tried several of the apps on the Market. Some work partially but none do exactly what we want. Looked into custom programming and was informed that it would cost as much as $100,000.00 or more to get what we want. We decided that we would just continue to use the scanner and laptop method that has worked very well for us for quite a while. If anybody has anything that can do what we need. We would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Have you received any such app for your truck business?

Kindly share your experience or links to this topic of Truck Business on Android Phones or Tablets printing mobility.

Thanks
Regards
Prasad

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones