• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Boost Mobile] Suddenly can't get 4G anywhere

ClintEmsley

Lurker
Nov 15, 2011
I just got the SGS3 last week and everything was working fine. 4G LTE working at home, work, and anywhere in-between, no problems texting, fast data etc.

As of last night, I suddenly started having issues with sending MMS texts - trying to send poop emojis to my wife, of course. I rebooted the phone and stopped getting data entirely, no 4G or 3G at all. I quickly discovered that changing the Network mode from CDMA/LTE/EVDO to just CDMA got me 3G...but still no 4G obviously.

I'm using the stock 4.4.2 rom, rooted via Towelroot and with some of the bloatware uninstalled but that's it. Additionally, I tried "method 1" on the second post of this page: FIXED: Can't send MMS? Sprint / Boost / Vir… | Sprint Galaxy S3 | XDA Forum

But to no avail.

The only other weird thing happening is that when I try to go to the "Connections optimizer", I get an error sayng "com.android.phone has stopped."

Not sure where to go next. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to be stuck with 3G, that's a big reason I upgraded in the first place.

I just got the SGS3 last week and everything was working fine. 4G LTE working at home, work, and anywhere in-between, no problems texting, fast data etc.

As of last night, I suddenly started having issues with sending MMS texts - trying to send poop emojis to my wife, of course. I rebooted the phone and stopped getting data entirely, no 4G or 3G at all. I quickly discovered that changing the Network mode from CDMA/LTE/EVDO to just CDMA got me 3G...but still no 4G obviously.

I'm using the stock 4.4.2 rom, rooted via Towelroot and with some of the bloatware uninstalled but that's it. Additionally, I tried "method 1" on the second post of this page: FIXED: Can't send MMS? Sprint / Boost / Vir… | Sprint Galaxy S3 | XDA Forum

But to no avail.

The only other weird thing happening is that when I try to go to the "Connections optimizer", I get an error sayng "com.android.phone has stopped."

Not sure where to go next. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to be stuck with 3G, that's a big reason I upgraded in the first place.

This does not sound like a common problem on 4.4.2.

I would be suspicious of the bloatware that you removed. When was the last time that you removed any flies/apps?

If all else fails I would re-install 4.4.2 via odin.

Good luck

Upvote 0
This does not sound like a common problem on 4.4.2.

I would be suspicious of the bloatware that you removed. When was the last time that you removed any flies/apps?

If all else fails I would re-install 4.4.2 via odin.

Good luck

Actually this is a quite common problem for anyone that took the OTA. So common that both Boost and Virgin mobile sent out a text message instructing users to force a reactivation after updating.

Make sure you're in an area with good signal. Then dial:
##72786#

Your phone will reboot a couple times during the activation process. If it doesn't work then you broke something and will have to reflash the ROM.

Reactions: wetbiker7
Upvote 0
Actually this is a quite common problem for anyone that took the OTA. So common that both Boost and Virgin mobile sent out a text message instructing users to force a reactivation after updating.

Make sure you're in an area with good signal. Then dial:
##72786#

Your phone will reboot a couple times during the activation process. If it doesn't work then you broke something and will have to reflash the ROM.

Good info Mydian. ;)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones