• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Brick'd Rezound - Please HELP!

phhcarlson

Lurker
Jan 7, 2012
I successfully followed these instructions to unlock and permanently root my Rezound:
xda-developers - View Single Post - [GUIDE] Super-noob guide to unlocking, rooting, and flashing Ziggys kernel

I installed ROM Manager and Titanium Backup premium and did a full backup. I then moved onto trying to install this ROM:
[ROM] BAMF Rezound 1.02 - RootzWiki

I completed steps 1-4:

1. Download attached ROM (BAMF_Vigor_1.02.zip)
  2. Copy to your External SD card.
  3. Boot to recovery
  4. Wipe /data and /system
but then realized I extracted all the files from the zip onto the SD card instead of just copying the zip, so could not select it in step 5. So I rebooted thinking that I could get back into the phone to put the full zip file on the SD card. Much to my surprise, the phone now gets stuck in a boot loop; looks like wiping that data screwed something good. Now when I boot to recovery with the SD card in, it still shows as unlocked, but doesn't show the normal options and instead goes into "SD Checking" and then shows:

HBOOT

Parsing...[SD ZIP]
[1] BOOT

Do you want to start update?

If I select yes, it gets to the point where it says "Update Comlete..." and I press power to reboot and nothing has changed. If I elect not to update, same result.

I then found that if I remove the SIM card, I can get it to show the normal menu when booting to recovery mode. Not sure what I can do there since I can't access the SIM card files. SIM card or not, the phone is no longer recognized by my computer, so I can't attempt to re-flash any files. I think that's all the relevant data, but please let me know if I've missed anything.

Any and all advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I can't believe I managed to brick this thing within 12 hours of receiving it...sigh.
:eek:...:thinking:...:mad:

Humbly,

Peter

Did you remove the file downloaded from the SD card after the update was finished? Connect the SD card to the computer with a micro SD adapter and remove that update file (image whatever it told you to rename it to). Then insert the SD card back into the phone and reboot.

Upvote 0
You can remove the PH zip file from the SD card via your pc if you have the correct card reader and while you're at it, place the rom zip file in the root of the SD card. You can then proceed to put the SD card back in your phone and flash the rom via recovery like you first intended to.

OR (if you have no way of accessing the micro SD)

you can just remove the card and do a fresh RUU as described below. You will still need to remove the PH zip file at some point once you're booted back into android after reverting to stock.

STEPS to flashing the RUU:

Connect your phone to your PC via USB and either power it on or select fastboot from your bootloader selection screen.

in windows CMD type "fastboot oem lock" once you are in the appropriate folder for fastboot and ADB.

Upon lock success we can proceed to install the official RUU file and return your phone to stock. Ignore any failed or security warnings following the successful lock message as it is natural.

Download the current official RUU from this post LINK

run the exe once downloaded and make your way through all the promps. Flashing the RUU takes 2-3 minutes and will update you on the progress via your phones touch screen.

--------------------

When you unlock your phone again, I suggest dodging CWM Recovery and Clockwork mod all together. I'm not saying CWM Recovery is bad, but the bugs reported with it's usage is pretty high at the current unofficial release state.

Unlock your phone (much simpler process now that you already have the unlock_code.bin.)
One Click root your phone
Install Amon Ra Recovery
Make a nand back up
flash a ROM.

I guess keeping your roms zipped should be added, but I think you know that now.

Obviously there are other routes that can be taken, but this is a simple method or fix.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones