• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Build environment help

xstefen

Android Expert
Dec 10, 2012
Under your bed
Hey guys and gals,

So I got a new phone, warrantied my Evo for the Samsung Galaxy Victory 4G LTE. Yay me :) Anyways, ive already posted this in that forum but I thought I'd reach out for help here too since you're mostly all pretty awesome.

For my first project since theres not much dev work for the Victory, I am planning to build AOSP 4.3, hopefully, if not CM or AOKP. I really dont care, AOSP 4.3 would be awesome tho.

Anyways for my issue, when setting up my build environment in Ubuntu desktop 12.04.02 64bit, I keep having this issue. When installing all the required libs listed by google and many other sites, I end up being unable to boot back into my system and only get a black screen and or frozen black screen with cursor. I can ctrl alt del or whatever no problem but never get a login screen. I have now, after reinstallation, got every last piece installed except for [HIGH]libgl1-mesa-glx:i386[/HIGH] which i have narrowed down to being the culprit. Upon installing I get

Screenshot%20from%202013-07-27%2017%3A28%3A07.png

which pretty much removes most of what ubuntu needs to display a gui. has anyone else ran into this or have any info on this? any help is appreciated as it is the last piece of the puzzle to my build environment. mods if you think theres a better place to move this please do

thanks in advanced, and RIP EVO V

Edit: it seems that [HIGH]libgl1-mesa-glx-lts-quantal:i386[/HIGH] is already installed. So im wondering if
[HIGH]libgl1-mesa-glx:i386[/HIGH]
and
[HIGH]sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGL.so[/HIGH]
is even necessary? Still doing research. Apparently its because in Ubuntu 12.04.02 some new X variants were used.

I had geek squad black tie. Bought it when I worked there. Got my phone and warranty with my trade in and discount for less than a hundred. Got $250 back for my warranty haha. Price matched the Victory to $199.99 and used the rest for another warranty and store credit. PS i got a successful build environment on Ubuntu 12.04. After installing all the necessary libs, including the one that breaks the system, follow up with a sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop before you restart and its all good! :D Compiled a basic aosp arm eng from source last night with only warnings

My opinion of the victory so far... Its blazing fcking fast, battery life is absolutely incredible, i get 7mb lte download at my house vs zero wimax. Etc :) Did i mention im running a kernel OCed to 1.8ghz completely stable?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones