• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Buying apps while overseas

Paul7876

May 29, 2010
Hi,

I have an unlocked Galaxy S3 which I bought in Australia, but I'm currently in England using a pre-pay sim from a UK network.

Does anyone know if I can purchase apps while I'm here and still receive the updates when I get home?

Play store now has more options and all prices are GBP so that's changed since I got here, but I know with the iPhone that if I have a UK-specific app I couldn't get the updates after getting back to Oz, I was hoping Android worked differently.

I believe it goes on the carrier. So if Google sees the phone as say "Orange UK Samsung GT..", rather than something like"Telstra Samsung GT...", you'll get Google Play for the UK. I found myself, spoofing the IP address doesn't work. I myself get "China Mobile...." showing on Play, which means free apps only. Probably because of United States only or whatever geographic content restrictions on DRM'd movies, music. e-books via Play.

Reactions: Paul7876
Upvote 0
I believe it goes on the carrier. So if Google sees the phone as say "Orange UK Samsung GT..", rather than something like"Telstra Samsung GT...", you'll get Google Play for the UK. I found myself, spoofing the IP address doesn't work. I myself get "China Mobile...." showing on Play, which means free apps only. Probably because of United States only or whatever geographic content restrictions on DRM'd movies, music. e-books via Play.

Yeah, it's all about content deals. If Google can't secure the rights to distribute said movies or songs in China, then they don't arrive in Google Play for that country.

Reactions: Paul7876
Upvote 0
While I've been in England I've been getting updates for free and paid apps obtained while I was in Australia.
I don't believe any of those apps were country-specific though, so it looks like the UK-only apps I've downloaded will need me to pop my UK SIM back into the phone every now and then to check for updates.

Thanks for your help guys :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones