• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

bye bye Ally

jamesnmandy

Android Enthusiast
Sep 3, 2010
So.....it was just too much, in the end I traded this guy in for a Samsung Fascinate. I have loved my LG phones, env, env touch, and now the Ally. it's just the battery life is still not very good, maybe i expect too much, but it is what it is

and the small internal memory....the relatively weak CPU, the lockup followed by reboot any time i REALLY push the phone like playing a game or playing HD video...

so in the end, after trying everything you guys have done for it, Velocity roms, etc...its just this phone is under spec'd and is trying really hard to compete in a market already dominated by much bigger players

by the time this phone gets Froyo (if it ever happens), Froyo will be old news, we will be talking Gingerbread, and with the looming possibility that even if the Ally got Froyo that it may not run Flash video...well.....i had about four more days before my worry free guarantee was up so i had to make a move

oh and drellisdee, i still plan to make a donation to you bro. i can say without any hesitation the newest Turbo kernel with JIT support REALLY brought my phone to life, unfortunately no amount of optimizing will make this phone what i need it to be, which is more powerful and able to last for 2 years....so thanks

Obviously that was the best choice if you weren't happy. Fascinate looks like a cool phone, but the one thing I disagree with you about is the battery life. All of these phones are going to be like this. I just read engadget's review of the Fascinate to make sure I wouldn't end up eating my words, and they say 24 hours and some spare change out of the battery with moderate use, and dead battery much faster if you like auto-updating widgets and heavy usage. So the battery life doesn't change no matter where you go, especially if you want a phone with even more power. If battery life is your concern, an underpowered phone like the Ally is your best bet.

My only problem is people who act like the battery life is an "Ally problem" and not widespread among the entire Droid lineup. These phones eat power. The Ally does nothing wrong that the other phones do better. Even with the 50% bug I can get 2 days worth out of my Ally.

Fascinate looks like a cool phone, enjoy it! Just plan on plugging it in as much as the Ally!

Upvote 0
Obviously that was the best choice if you weren't happy. Fascinate looks like a cool phone, but the one thing I disagree with you about is the battery life. All of these phones are going to be like this. I just read engadget's review of the Fascinate to make sure I wouldn't end up eating my words, and they say 24 hours and some spare change out of the battery with moderate use, and dead battery much faster if you like auto-updating widgets and heavy usage. So the battery life doesn't change no matter where you go, especially if you want a phone with even more power. If battery life is your concern, an underpowered phone like the Ally is your best bet.

My only problem is people who act like the battery life is an "Ally problem" and not widespread among the entire Droid lineup. These phones eat power. The Ally does nothing wrong that the other phones do better. Even with the 50% bug I can get 2 days worth out of my Ally.

Fascinate looks like a cool phone, enjoy it! Just plan on plugging it in as much as the Ally!

i can only get 8-10 hours out of my Ally though. its not like i sit there surfing the web or talking all day....although i would consider myself a heavy user at times....here's the thing, first off, everyone pretty much knows the Engadget review was very harsh, most of the annoyances they list would be corrected by most of the users here in the first day to begin with, root, uninstall bloat, apply a couple tweaks including de-binging it, etc.......which once you do that the phone suddenly becomes a truly nice handset

and I also like that Samsung is already pushing out fixes for bugs......and will definitely have Froyo with Flash this fall, and based on it's under-utilized GPU power i am willing to bet it is going to be on the short list of devices getting Gingerbread

i guess even if i looked past the mediocre battery life, heavier weight, smaller and much lesser screen, gimped memory footprint and not to mention the random reboots and lockups....even if all that could be fixed in an update was fixed, the Ally is pretty much where it is going to be. there will be individual enhancements by people such as drellisdee which are great, but its going to be fairly dead in 6 months to a year tops

i need a handset that still feels relatively new in a year so that in two years it will be just in need of replacing, not something i put up with for the last year and a half....stuck in 2.1 land or with 2.2 sans flash and locking up every time i actually use it

today i am streaming Pandora music and it stops playing, i look over to see it rebooting.....nothing crazy, no overclocking, plenty strong battery...it just cant keep up when pushed

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones