• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help C771 with Windows 8 & 8.1

I'm having a problem with Windows 8 (which was pre-installed on the notebook I got this spring) and my Commando (which I've had and loved for two years now). I've downloaded the C771 USB 1.0.11.0 drivers, and the installation completed successfully (when I tried to run it again, it said that the 1.0.11.0 drivers were already installed). Here's what happens when I connect my Commando to the notebook, though:
1. Win8 Device Manager recognizes it as "CASIO C771 USB Composite Device" but displays it with the yellow error warning icon.
2. In the Device Properties, the status shows: "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful."
3. On the Driver tab, it says that it's using the 1.0.9.0 version rather than 1.0.11.0

I've tried all that I know to do to make Win8 recognize that 1.0.11.0 is newer and better than 1.0.9.0, but it keeps telling me that it's already using the best driver available :mad:. I even upgraded to Win8.1 yesterday, but the problem still remains.

One possible fix might be to get a copy of the 1.0.11.0 version of the C771BUS.SYS file and replace the current \Windows\System32\Drivers\C771BUS.SYS file with it. I can't seem to find a copy of the AMD version of that file anywhere online, though. :(

Any other suggestions?

I have the same issue. I've just decided to give it up. I like this phone and it's been a good one for me but there are certainly some serious issues with it. I could never get it rooted either. I know some people have managed to do so, I guess I'm just not knowledgeable enough to do it. As far as the driver issue goes for the phone, I just always use my Toshiba laptop running Win7.

Upvote 0
I had no problem with rooting the C771 using SuperOneClick from my desktop on WinXP. Of course, once I rooted it, it refused all attempts to upgrade it from build C771M080, so it's way behind on all the upgrades that it should have had since then.

I've decided that the best way to fix these problems is to ditch the Commando ... my Verizon contract is up anyway, so I'm planning to switch to StraightTalk or one of the other more cost-efficient options that are available nowadays (there were no such options in my area in 2001 when I got my first phone).

Reactions: steelnoggin
Upvote 0
Yeah, I think I'll can this thing. God, I about had a coronary when I realized the utter junk they ladened this phone with. I'm serious, I was furious. The truth is, it works okay. It just sucks, know what I mean? Problem is, I'm hard on phones. I have a tendency to get them wet, cold, hot and this one has survived more than a half dozen drops on some pretty hard shit, i.e. cement. This question probably doesn't belong here but whats a good, durable, not too big, phone that has reasonable flexibility? I haven't looked in a long time, my contract has been up for at least six months but I aint pulled the trigger on anything new, yet. Guess I better get busy with the research.

Upvote 0
Well, thank you to those who've tried to help with the original problem here. I decided to make the switch last Thursday -- bought a new ZTE Majesty phone (for which there's no forum here yet :() and switched to Straight Talk; although I'll miss my Commando, I'll be saving enough on the difference between ST's unlimited plan and my old Verizon plan to have the Majesty pay for itself in the first three months! The Majesty isn't as rugged as the Commando (sorry, Steel :() ... but at least it's updated and update-able (which fixes my reported problem above).

Upvote 0
I'm having a problem with Windows 8 (which was pre-installed on the notebook I got this spring) and my Commando (which I've had and loved for two years now). I've downloaded the C771 USB 1.0.11.0 drivers, and the installation completed successfully (when I tried to run it again, it said that the 1.0.11.0 drivers were already installed). Here's what happens when I connect my Commando to the notebook, though:
1. Win8 Device Manager recognizes it as "CASIO C771 USB Composite Device" but displays it with the yellow error warning icon.
2. In the Device Properties, the status shows: "Windows cannot initialize the device driver for this hardware. (Code 37) {Operation Failed} The requested operation was unsuccessful."
3. On the Driver tab, it says that it's using the 1.0.9.0 version rather than 1.0.11.0

I've tried all that I know to do to make Win8 recognize that 1.0.11.0 is newer and better than 1.0.9.0, but it keeps telling me that it's already using the best driver available :mad:. I even upgraded to Win8.1 yesterday, but the problem still remains.

One possible fix might be to get a copy of the 1.0.11.0 version of the C771BUS.SYS file and replace the current \Windows\System32\Drivers\C771BUS.SYS file with it. I can't seem to find a copy of the AMD version of that file anywhere online, though. :(

Any other suggestions?

Does Windows8 come with Windows xp mode?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones