• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Calling app with phone number

drdnaught1

Jan 2, 2012
I'm looking for a free app that I can use to make calls, which will show a different phone number than my actual cell. There are legitimate reasons I'll need to keep my cell # private in rare circumstances. (It looks like Google voice can give me a new # to receive, but not make, calls from. But please correct me if I'm wrong on that.)

You absolutely can make calls from Google Voice. I use it all the time, I rarely give out my 'real' number.

There are a lot of different ways to set it up and use it but I have a companion app Voice Choice that automates my outgoing calls. It's easy to set up and works like a charm. You select what numbers to call using your 'real' number (or your GV number) and it does the rest. I have mine set to use GV for numbers not selected (they use my 'real' number).

Love GV and VC, have a look :)

Upvote 0
Google Voice can be used for receiving and making calls. It effectively gives your phone a second number. So for example, you give your actual cell number only to certain friends and family, everyone else would get your Google Voice number.

If you install VoiceChoice you can choose whether Google Voice is used for outgoing calls automatically, depending on who you are calling.

Google Voice can do much more. It's a very powerful tool. Check it out. It's free.

Arrrgh...ninjad by Clementine_3...

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones